Firefox 1.5 minor annoyance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 1.5 minor annoyance

Does anybody know if there's an extension of some sort to make clicking on the url in the address bar highlight it automatically? Firefox used to do this by default but 1.5 requires 3 clicks to highlight the entire thing. Other than that, seems to be a superb release of the browser.

Can you tell me what the improvements are ?

Comment

For one thing, you can finally reorder tabs by dragging and dropping... (more info here: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/releases/1.5.html)

As regards the original problem, if you are running Firefox on Windows, try hitting Alt-D. That will select the contents of the address bar. Doesn't work on the Mac as far as I can see though unfortunately. It may work on Linux, but I haven't tried it. Not sure if there is an extension/option to change the clicking behaviour though.
      Last edited by Cobertizo; 04-12-2005, 14:55. Reason: Added Firefox 1.5 release url

Comment

I have 1.5 and I need only click the url once to highlight it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobertizo
          As regards the original problem, if you are running Firefox on Windows, try hitting Alt-D. That will select the contents of the address bar. Doesn't work on the Mac as far as I can see though unfortunately. It may work on Linux, but I haven't tried it. Not sure if there is an extension/option to change the clicking behaviour though.
          Doh, I'm using a Mac sadly so there goes that option.

As Cobertizo said, dragging and dropping of tabs has finally been implemented. I'm not entirely sure what other major enhancements there are but the minor ones all add up to make the browser feel very polished. It's generally faster upon startup (less so on my Mac, but my Windows friends say it's much faster) and close, and several security issues have been addressed.

Edit - Are you on Windows or a Mac, Marcus? Several of my Mac friends on 1.5 also have the same problem as me. Not sure about my Windows friends, have yet to ask them.
          Last edited by Taka; 04-12-2005, 15:01.

Comment

I have 1.6a1 (which isn't a million miles away from 1.5 tbh) but on the Mac, and if I click on the address itself, then that just inserts the cursor. I then have to click a few more times to get it to select the lot. However if I click once on the little icon/picture thing to the left of the http://, then it selects the whole url. Perhaps that will help?

It seems from what marcus has said that it isn't necessarily a 1.5 "feature" as such - it may just be a bit of a glitch!

[EDIT: Aha. You posted in the meanwhile. If you are using a Mac too, then try my suggestion of clicking on the little url icon thing. That should sort you out!]

Comment

Awesome tip, works like a charm. Thanks a bunch!

Comment

Working...
              X