Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 26LX2R HDTV with Xbox 360

Hello all,

I'm really interested in buying this 26" LG LCD display and have heard excellent reports about it with PC usage, but has anyone used one for the Xbox 360 yet via component or VGA? If so, how does it perform?

I've read the TV isn't great for SD sources but that doesn't bother me in the slightest because I only intend to feed it HD sources.

Any help would be grately appreciated.

Many thanks,

I have the 32" version, and yes, its bloomin fantastic. I haven't tried the 360 in VGA, mind.

The TV isn't great in SD, but better than most give credit for.

Comment

I have the 26" version and have to say I think its great.

I run the 360 in Component at the moment (waiting for VGA's to be in shops) and its very nice, not as sharp as when I run my PC through the TV in DVI or VGA but thats to be expected.

The TV has quite alot of settings and generally I have found the picture quality really good.

The only problem is its lacking a VGA socket but I hear that the socket is VGA compatible and just needs an adapter to connect the VGA to the DVI socket.

Overall its making Xbox 360 fantastic and I think I can expect more when I get the VGA lead (and VGA to DVI adapter)

Comment

Yep its truly fantastic, hopefully getting a VGA lead tomorrow(already have the DVI-I > VGA converter lead) and I'll post impressions to see if its any better then. Hoping to get rid of some jaggies a bit with it and make text a fair bit sharper too.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ
          I have the 32" version, and yes, its bloomin fantastic. I haven't tried the 360 in VGA, mind.

The TV isn't great in SD, but better than most give credit for.
          I also have the 32" version and its amazing. 360 looks great and SD out of my Sky box looks much better than I was hoping for.

Comment

Yeh SD is really quite good actually. I was expecting a big pixelated mess but its not at all.

Comment

I run my 360 though Component right now and it looks excellent.

This TV really shines when using VGA or DVI mind, at any resolution. Both the PC and Dreamcast looks stunning.

Comment

Excellent, I'm so glad to hear it. Thank you very much for your replies.

I have now ordered myself one for the bargain price of ?623 including delivery and a free freeview box! I was going to buy the new Samsung 26" Milano (LE26M51) but I was put off because some people have said the 32" version experiences a fair bit of ghosting on 360 games, didn't look like I'd be able to get it in time for Christmas and it's ?260 more expensive.

I really do hope I'll be happy with this purchase. What I may do is if VGA is significantly better than component for 360 I will buy a DVI -> HDMI convertor to connect my PC and a VGA -> DVI adaptor for the 360.

Now all I need is to begin my surround sound setup with a nice amp and two speakers...

Comment

Ooh, where'd you find it for that price, if you don't mind me asking? I've been planning to pick one up in the next couple of months, but most look to be around the ?700 mark...

Comment

Originally posted by Rez
                    I really do hope I'll be happy with this purchase. What I may do is if VGA is significantly better than component for 360 I will buy a DVI -> HDMI convertor to connect my PC and a VGA -> DVI adaptor for the 360.
                    You want one of these

Splits the DVI-I into 2 separate DVI-D and VGA ports.

Comment

I'm looking at that eBay auction and I just don't get that lead, what exactly is that for? Connecting 2 sources to the DVI port on the LG? Or connecting the PC to 2 outputs?

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzla
                        I'm looking at that eBay auction and I just don't get that lead, what exactly is that for? Connecting 2 sources to the DVI port on the LG? Or connecting the PC to 2 outputs?
                        Basically, it's for DVI-I port.

There are 2 types of DVI port you will come across on TV's - DVI-D and DVI-I (there's also DVI-A, but you will never see them).
                        DVI-D is bog-standard DVI-D Digital signal. DVI-I on the other hand accepts both digital (DVI-D) and an Analogue (VGA) through the same port.
                        The above cable merly splits the DVI-I pins for each connection into 2 separate ports, allowing you to attatch a DVI-D and a VGA device into the same DVI-I port without having to keep unplugging the cables.

Most TV's don't actually tell you if the the DVI port is DVI-I or DVI-D, unfortunately. Obviously best to go with DVI-I as you essentially get a free VGA port

The cable works both ways, I have one myself - Dreamcast VGA and Oppo DVD Player DVI-D.
                        Last edited by sj33; 08-12-2005, 06:13.

Comment

That's fantastic, so I could hook up my PC via VGA and an Oppo via DVI-D through one DVI-I port on the 26/32LX2R port? What happens when both sources are active?

Comment

Yep.
                            The DVI-D will have priority over the VGA, although if the VGA device is already running, it will not cancel it out. Pressing Input and re-selecting DVI will switch you over to the Digital.

Much better than paying ?150+ for a switcher, and is non-lossy since it's just a diddy cable.

When I get hold of a 360 VGA cable, it will be the 360 in the VGA port (running in 1360x768 upscaling mode!), and the Oppo on the DVI-D.

Comment

Working...
                            X