Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox replacement PSU

Hi all

Has anyone got an xbox with a replacement PSU? I have (as I'm moving to the US and it's switchable between 110/240v) but it seems a little, well, temperamental and occasionally refuses to power up until I jiggle the power lead.

Has anyone else had any experience with these? Is it likely that a bit of wiring is loose? Or am I worrying about nothing (it's fine if I don't move the xbox around to plug in link cables etc).

Originally posted by Mike UK
    Hi all

Has anyone got an xbox with a replacement PSU? I have (as I'm moving to the US and it's switchable between 110/240v) but it seems a little, well, temperamental and occasionally refuses to power up until I jiggle the power lead.

Has anyone else had any experience with these? Is it likely that a bit of wiring is loose? Or am I worrying about nothing (it's fine if I don't move the xbox around to plug in link cables etc).
    Hi, I fitted one of these just yesterday (I think it's the same, a Madcow 110/240v switchable Xbox PSU) - brand new, straight out of the box, and I immediately noticed some bad joints on the board as soon as I picked it up to put it in. One of them was so bad there's no way the board would have worked as it was.

Fortunately it was easily fixed, but I'm not sure if that'll be any help to you... :S
    Can you get in touch with whoever fitted it (assuming you didn't fit it yourself)?

Comment

That's the puppy - cheers for the useful info! Will get back to the guy and see what he can do..

Mike

Comment

I didnt realise these were poor quality!

Glad I've been "Argossing" them....

Comment

I have just sold a 110VAC Xbox power supply on eBay. The buyer is dragging his feet with payment at the moment. If he doesn't want it, do you?

Comment

Cheers for the offer - hopefully I'll get the current PSU checked out and resoldered if possible/necessary. May well give you a pm if it looks like I need a new one tho'.

Comment

http://www.premodded.co.uk/accessories.htm does them for ?30

Comment

Thanks - premodded did this one! I mailed the guy yesterday - he was very helpful as usual and said it was probably the fault of the actual lead you plug into the xbox, as it's loose fitting in the replacement PSU, much tighter in the official. Having had another look last night, I can confirm that that is the issue.

I'll be wandering down to maplins later to pick up an alternative the plug looks like a very standard power lead used for all stereos etc.

Hope my experience helps anyone in the future with the same problem!

Mike

Comment

Working...
                X