No announcement yet.

Think I found the right speaker setup!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess what ShakeyJake recommended earlier (Logitech Z-5500) seems to be a good choice for ?200, although you could also buy a seperate amplifier and speakers if you wanted which would cost nearer to the maximum of your budget.

You'll basically need 5 'small' speakers, a subwoofer (a big box like thing) and a decoder or amplifier. Essentially, the speakers and subwoofer are connected to the decoder, and the decoder is then connected to your 360 through an optical lead. (AFAIK, sombody correct me if this is wrong) With this, you can enjoy 5.1 surround soud.
    Last edited by themanwithapc; 11-12-2005, 14:19.

Comment

Originally posted by H-Man
      Can anyone suggest a 5.1 setup that would work well in a smallish living room, ?200 - ?300?

My stereo is on its way out, so it'd be used for games, movies and music - mainly through the 360.

I'm completely clueless about this stuff, having no idea what cables i'd need, how to connect various devices to the sound setup, what a decoder is.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
      I swear by these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...102164-9158007

Built-in decoder for Dolby Digital, DTS and Pro Logic II, so that's everything you need. No separate decoder required.

For connecting your equipment, you may need optical cables and an optical switcher.
      http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tv...ml?id=YQBT8K5X
      http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/APRILO1.html

You could go the route of buying speakers and amp separate. It will be more expensive however. If you have a fixed budget, money spent on an amp might be better spent on the speakers themselves, that's why I took this route.

Comment

Thanks for that - i'll have a read.

Comment

Quick question. I'm using the rgb cable for the 360 at the mo - will this be able to plug into the sound setup? or will it require another cable?

Comment

Originally posted by H-Man
            Quick question. I'm using the rgb cable for the 360 at the mo - will this be able to plug into the sound setup? or will it require another cable?
            The RGB cable will have an optical input on the end that connects to the XBox.

Comment

I read that the wires come connected to the speakers and can't be extended - which is a bugger. I'd have to run them around a bay window and over two doors. 25 feet doesn't sound enough.

Otherwise these speakers sound perfect :/

Comment

Nah, i bought the Z-5500's about a month ago and the speaker cable is not permanently connected to the speakers. If the cable lengths supplied are not long enough you can just buy some longer lengths and use them instead.

Comment

It just comes with standard leads to connect the speakers, you can extend them as far or short as you like.

Comment

Cheers guys

Are any of you using them with your tv in the lounge, or just your pc. The only concern I have left is that these, being a pc 5.1 system, might not be loud enough for the living room. Infact i'm not planning on connecting them to the pc at all.

Comment

Trust me the z5500 will be more than loud enough. I have mine setup in my room with my xbox 360 and dvd player and they are stunning for the money. The fact that its a THX certified system should give some idea that it is a decent bit of kit. Oh and the Sub is quite a lot bigger than i was expecting so make shure you have somewhere to put it.

Comment

Bumping this as I am back in the market for a surround set up.. nothing fancy mind.

My first port of call for window shopping was Empire Direct, surprised to find out they have gone into administration!

I used to have a good quality entry level Sony set (combined receiver/woofer and speakers) that handled DD5.1. DTS and PLII which is all I really need. Looking around I can't find any modern equivalents that don't include a DVD player.. I really don't need that...

I'd also like to avoid 'non-hi-fi' manufacturers such as Logitech. Does anyone have any recommendations or links?

Comment

I think I heard Empire Direct have been bought by Richer Sounds so might be worth checking their website out as they do similar goods

Comment

This:

+

This

?290 but rather splendid for the money IMO.

Comment

Cheers for that, I should probably have added that I'm in Japan, so I was hoping for something mainstream enough that it would be available in all regions.. unfortunately the chances of finding that Tannoy system over here are very small.

The Yamaha looks good but I don't think the girlfriend would sign off on me buying separates... I only got the go-ahead for this because I told her I could probably pick up a set with minimal cost/fuss.

Actually I don't have any need for the "V" part of the A/V receiver as I'm only going to be running audio through it (which is why my old Sony kit would have been perfect).

There is this Pioneer kit, the HTP-S313, which is the closest thing I can find to what I'm looking for but just a tad expensive (as I'd expect for Pioneer stuff)

Annoyingly Sony do have what I'm looking for but it includes a DVD player and that comes out the same price as the Pioneer

Comment

Working...
                              X