Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSP battery life playing movies from the MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSP battery life playing movies from the MS?

Anyone done a test to see how long the bog-standard PSP battery lasts playing movies from the stick? I'm thinking it'll be more than playing a game (and that it may depend on the bitrate and codec?) but a ball-park figure would be nice

I would say a long time - but I did use some external mains powered speakers plugged into the headphones socket (at full PSP volume if it makes a difference).

On third level of brightness, used default PSP Video 9 settings, managed to watch 84 mins of video and had 83% battery remaining, so in theory about eight and half hours in total should be possible.

EDITED; more accurate calculation
    Last edited by VR46; 15-12-2005, 19:41.

Comment

Originally posted by segages
      Anyone done a test to see how long the bog-standard PSP battery lasts playing movies from the stick? I'm thinking it'll be more than playing a game (and that it may depend on the bitrate and codec?) but a ball-park figure would be nice
      1hr 20 minute film, battery at 56% afterwards. Using headphones

Comment

Yikes that's a big difference c_s from David's Was that a high bitrate by any chance?

EDIT: just remembered the screen's brightness is probably a big battery killer if laptops are anything to go by.

I just encoded my Bebop DVDs, but to get all 26 episodes on my 1gb stick, they had to go at 160kbps AVC which is surprisingly watchable as long as the screen isn't too close. I'm wondering if the newer (2.0+) AVC codec uses more or less juice on playback since I got around 9hrs worth of video on there

On a sidenote, is it possible to playlist PSP movies so there's no stopping in between?

Comment

Watched something this morning, same setup as my first post, 45 mins and battery had 92% remaining, must be the speakers/headphones and Bitrate really draining the battery.

There is no way to do a "playlist" on PSP, if it's that important to you, you'd have to use something like Virtualdub to make them all into one big .avi before you convert - plus you would then be able to take out the opening and end credits also knocking a good few minutes off the overall time.

Comment

I had a 450MB file at very high bit rate. Also used large external headphones on full, (Due to Plane noise) & backlight on Max.

This may explain why my battery drained faster.

C_S

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHolliss
              Watched something this morning, same setup as my first post, 45 mins and battery had 92% remaining, must be the speakers/headphones and Bitrate really draining the battery.

There is no way to do a "playlist" on PSP, if it's that important to you, you'd have to use something like Virtualdub to make them all into one big .avi before you convert - plus you would then be able to take out the opening and end credits also knocking a good few minutes off the overall time.
              Ahh OK, I can do without the playlist thing. I usually rip vobs from my DVDs and cut off intro and credits anyway... don't need the Bebop intro and credits 26 times

I did a test earlier and was impressed with the results. The 160kbps AVC rips are exactly 21 mins each and I played the first 6 at low screen brightness and 75% volume via the speaker. I had 81% battery remaining which would mean around 10 hours from a full charge

Not bad at all.

Comment

Working...
              X