No announcement yet.

Problem with paging file in Windows 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disabling virtual memory completely usually has the nice effect of making your computer take a year to do anything though, so don't be surprised if you have to wait a while to boot

Comment

The size of the page file shouldn't really be related to the amount of RAM in the system. If you had 64MB of RAM then, at 2.5 x RAM, the page file would only be 160MB, which is no where near enough. If you had 2GB of RAM then you'd probably be wasting 5 gigs of HDD space for a page file. I'd do something like set a fixed size page file so that the total size of physical RAM + page file = 2.5 GB or something.

Comment

Originally posted by wush
        The size of the page file shouldn't really be related to the amount of RAM in the system. If you had 64MB of RAM then, at 2.5 x RAM, the page file would only be 160MB, which is no where near enough. If you had 2GB of RAM then you'd probably be wasting 5 gigs of HDD space for a page file. I'd do something like set a fixed size page file so that the total size of physical RAM + page file = 2.5 GB or something.
        If you only had 64MB of RAM you'd be running a less juicy OS in the first place, like Win95 or an early Win98, otherwise you'd be stupid to have only 64MB RAM.

What ****s me most about OS upgrades is that there seems to be little or no performance boost, but a requirement of 2 or 4 times as much RAM and even more processing power, which takes the piss, no? And that's why I refuse to go anywhere near Windows Vista, because I don't want my system resources being eaten up by a pretty GUI that does all sorts of animations and swooshes even more than they already are with an XP Pro that's as stripped down as I can get it.

Comment

slackware, cough

Comment

Working...
          X