Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xbox live, 360 and ntl connectivity problem

Hi guys

I'm trying to get my 360 connected to xbox live, through my NTL set top box. However, when I try, the dashboard tells me it cannot find xbox live. Upon selecting troubleshooting, it says there is a problem with the MTU setting - it isn't high enough to connect to xbox live.

Does this make sense to anyone? My BB connection is 1gb, so it's sppedy enough, right?

I know I should be doing better things on xmas eve, but having never tried live before, and having got a shiny new 360 this morning, I'm impatient!
    Thanks
    Tony

Hi Tony,

As far as I remember ntl are complete w**nkers when it comes to live and STB's, I think the STB is a bit behind and they really like you to pay for thier special Live extra service which is basically a second IP address, I think. Since they have stepped up a gear recently, they have dropped the extra charge for speedy BB users, 3Mb/s and 10Mb/s the STB hardware is slower I think.

If you have broadband upstairs for example like me it easy to get on live just unplug your PC and run a cable to the xbox. I don't think you can have BB on PC and the network port on the STB working unless you pay the extra (it was ?5 I think its ?2/month now)

I got around the problem of long cables by getting a wireless router for the study and a access point down stairs.

(now some networking wizard will tell me I'm completely wrong and could have used my STB with clever use of a toothpick )

the upload speed on ntl is the weak point as well.

PS I think you mean 1Mb

Good luck
    HTH

Comment

Yeah, I did mean 1mb...lol.

Sorted it out - at least temporarily - by mapping the mac address of my mac to the xbox. Kinda fools the NTL box into thinking it's still dealing with my mac, or something. Will play with live for a while before trying to connect it to my router - I'm sure that'll cause some more issues...lol.

Cheers for the reply.
      Tony

Comment

I have a few questions that need answering about this type of connection through ntl stb.

Does it work with all ntl stb's ?
        Do I jst need to put in my mac address in my 360 and nothing else ?
        Where do i put in my mac address in my 360 ?
        Everytime I want to go on live do i need a different mac address ?

P.S.I am a newbie at the xbox live connection thing.

Comment

Working...
        X