X-FI XtremeMusic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X-FI XtremeMusic

Tempted to get a new sound card to go with my new Logitech Z-5500's.

I currently have an Audigy2 ZS softmodded to an Audigy4, and sounds cracking. However, the 24-bit crystaliser support is supposed to live up to the hype (using the extra bitrate when running 16bit Mp3's on a 24bit soundcard to enhance the audio), as does CMSS 3D, so I'm very tempted to upgrade. Anyone here tried this card and can offer their opinions compared to my card?

Also, seems even the X-FI lacks Dolby Digital Live support for true optical/coaxial digital output for all media. The BlueGears XMystique and Turtle Beach Montego have this feature though, is it worth worrying about?

I've been researching this card a lot myself. I gather that, without any of the new features enabled, it'll sound a lot like the Audigy 2 ZS. Fortunately all of the new features such as the Crystalizer and CMSS can make a very real positive difference when used with suitable sources. Then there's the exclusive EAX HD 5.0 for gaming. There are semi-pro (E-Mu etc.) cards of a similar price that will sound better but they are mostly limited to stereo playback and have a heavy focus on recording and mixing. The card's unbeatable as a high quality all-rounder. I'm going to be picking one up in the next few weeks myself. Seems it can be had for sub ?80 after a Froogle search.

Comment

CMSS is why I'd recommend an Audigy card to anyone currently using an onboard in the first place. Currently got my CMSS settings set to Stereo Surround upmixing all my Mp3's to 5.1 and it blows me away! The idea of CMSS being refined even more is reason enough to make me lay down the ?80. But we've been conned before (Audigy4 anyone?).

Comment

Just got an X-Fi XtremeMusic, figured at least wush might be interested in my experience

There's a definate quality jump here. It's not the same kind of leap as going from onboard to an Audigy2 (that was a HUGE jump - I'd not dream of using onboard now), but it's well worth it if you use your PC for music a lot.

The 24-bit crystalizer rocks, you can disable it and hear a big difference. Bit disappointed with the new CMSS3D stuff... lots added for headphones, but I find the new 'StereoXpand' mode to not sound as immersive as StereoSurround (though the former is technically more 'correct' as it puts more forground/vocal focus in front of you)... but you get to choose anyway.

One disappointment with the X-Fi compared to the Audigy2 is that they've combined the Rear and Center/Sub inputs with the Line-in/Mic inputs, much like on most onboard solutions. This basically means you HAVE to buy the breakout box, or an X-Fi Platinum or above, to use Line-in *and* surround. This won't be an issue for you though, as the Z-5500 Control Center has a line-in, but it's a sneeky thing Creative did.
        I used to have my GameCube connected to the line-in on my Audigy2 ZS, I now have it connected to the Line-in on my Z-5500 Control Panel. PLII still works, so it's cool.
        I notice the FireWire port has been replaced with an old-style GamePad input - but I don't think gamepads work, it's for use with the breakout box.

Comment

Certainly am, I got one recently too and overall I'm happy.

It's very clean sounding - no hint of hiss during silence which was something that used to bother me. There is a noticable improvement from my onboard Realtek ALC850 but I'd never call it night and day. I dunno, maybe it was one of the better onboard solutions.

One huge positive is the driver package. When I used the web download or the minimal install from the CD, there was zero bloatware. Just a single "Audio Console" application with tabs to access all of the essential features and none of the graphical fanciness.

I'm undecided on the 24-bit crystalizer thing. I notice that when you enable it, there's a slight increase in volume, which is easy to mistake for a boost in quality. Currently have it enabled at 50%, if only to assure myself that the card's whizzbang processor isn't sitting idle all the time.

I like the CMSS3D headphone feature. I don't know about correct placement of sound sources, but it really does move the sound from inside your head to in front of you very well - even with your eyes open. Unfortunately it is ruined for me because of the stupid "headphone" selection in the speaker setup tab. All I use is a pair of high quality stereo headphones but I'm forced to set the speaker setup to "2.0/2.1 speakers" because the "headphone" preset messes with the signal and completely bloats the bass, which I can only assume is try and correct the sound produced by the dire quality headphones most folk must use. So, seeing as it doesn't know I'm really using headphones, CMSS is all wrong.

What mode do you have yours in? I've just taking to leaving it in "Entertainment Mode" all the time because I'm usually listening to music. It's a bit crap that to use the advanced EAX features in a game like BF2, you must manually switch to gaming mode before starting the game and back to whatever else once you've finished.
          Last edited by SubparMario; 21-01-2006, 20:16.

Comment

Crystaliser is set to 75% on mine. It's a much hated feature by the audiophiles at Hydrogenic, but I think it sounds rather spiffy. When I turn it off, everything just sounds so flat.

Headphone was also wierd on the older version of CMSS on the Audigy, with the exact same artifacts you mention. It worked best on 2.0/2.1 speaker as you say, though I assume that means you don't get access to the headphone enhancements?

Leaving it in Entertainment mode generally as I rarely PC game. I know what you mean about it being annoying... I think EAX does work in all modes, it just throws more resources at it in game mode, instead of throwing resources on the Crystaliser and CMSS which would be pointless for games anyway. It's a positive idea, just a pain... I imagine auto-detection would be too complex.

Comment

Working...
            X