Please help all the wires go away!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help all the wires go away!

Right, I'm a bit stupid when it comes to all this wireless networking stuff, but it's time to bite the bullet.

Could anyone recommend me a router and/or adapter so that I can establish a wireless network from an external cable modem (Blueyonder/Telewest 2Mb) that will work with:

NDS (without the dongle/when PC is off)
    Xbox 360 with official wireless adapter (when PC is off)
    and this PC (when it's on)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ta

If you read this again before a moderator does, be aware that it may have been moved into a different forum.

If Blueyonder require a specific modem like NTL do (afaik), then you may have difficulties... if not then your best bet is to simply chuck out your old modem and get a router with a modem in it, I'd suggest something like this: Netgear DG834G.

Iit's 802.11g which is supported by the 360 Dongle and the DS, and once you've set up your home computer (you'll need to use an ethernet cable to do this initially) you can use any 802.11g dongle on your computer to connect to it, such as this one.

The firewall is excellent and netgear are a great manufacturer. I used the wired version of that router and pings were brilliant and it was extremely easy to set up. Unfortunately while I was away from home my old man decided to go wireless and bought a Belkin router. It's not nearly as good.
    Last edited by nips; 31-12-2005, 03:13.

Comment

If it's like NTL and you need to use the modem supplied, then you need to buy a Pre-N router.

Comment

Thanks very much for the tip, I shall look into that on my next visit to tottenham court road... it seems to be just what I'm after.

Comment

Working...
        X