Dreamcast VGA box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreamcast VGA box

Hi all, I really want to pick one of these up now that I have a proper HD TV. Thing is, there are quite a few brands on the market. Are there any differences?

Thanks for any help!

They're all basically the same tbh, as they both simply tell the Dreamcast to boot up in VGA mode. You usually have to use your own VGA cables (a good thing).

I'd make sure the VGA box you choose has a switch to switch between VGA and S-Video. With this, you can 'trick' many non-VGA games into booting in VGA mode by booting up in S-Video mode, then switching to VGA just as the 'Produced by...' screen is about to appear.

I personally use the Blaze VGA Box.

Comment

Theres a distinction that needs to be made between vga boxes and vga cables in which the latter is definetly preferable. Basically a box has additional connections including s video and composite, so you can connect it to a tv and monitor at the same time and switch between the two if youre playing a non vga game. Theres slight variability between vga boxes; the blaze and rare official box has pass throughs that allow you to keep a pc and dc connected to the box and it allows you to switch between both inputs. Cheaper versions don't have this but nonetheless are excellent. I have the Hais model, its outputs a excellant image although i heard a few complaints abouts its svideo port and if you open the box up the components are "glued" to the insides.

Comment

Cool thanks for that! So I'm gonna need to pick up a cable as well as the VGA box? What are the connections like?

Comment

No its either one or the other. Sorry if my post wasnt clear. Avoid the small vga cables and opt for a box

Comment

I prefer the fact that you have to use your own cables, as you can make sure you buy good ones, such as the Belkin Pro High Integrity ones http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...subcat_uid=553

Comment

Will do. Thanks again!!!

Comment

Working...
              X