Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hibernation problem

Hi!
    Having trouble getting Hibernation activated on my comp, I want to be able to put it into manual hibernation for circumstances such as when my g/f wants to use it on her HD and for when I'm in the middle of things.
    When I click the 'Enable hibernation' check box, then click apply, I get the error "Policy Power Manager unable to rservce hibernate file - "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process".
    Anyone got any ideas?

Sounds to me like the hibernation file has become corrupt. You could try first of all disabling hibernation in the control panel, booting into safe mode and deleting the hibernation file that normally is on the root C (might need to 'show hidden files' for this). When you reenable hibernation again, it should recreate itself again.

Comment

What's the hibernation file actually called?
      I've never had hibernation enabled on this comp, so not sure that it would have created one in the first place, but if you can tell me what it's called I can see to it that it's on its way to destruction.

Comment

hiberfil.sys (or something close). Normally (on XP pro, well my PCs anyway!) if you disable hibernation the file is auto deleted.

Comment

Bizarre. I haven't got any file named like that or similar, yet I still get the same error.

Comment

Do you have the option to show hidden/system files active?

Comment

Yeh! The file doesn't exist and yet I have rebooted to make sure and I still get the error.

Comment

Are you a XP home user? if so you might have to logon as Administrator to see it (boot into safe mode).

Comment

Nah XP Pro logged in with an account with all priveleges (maybe not the safest thing in the world but have had 3 years without a problem).

Comment

Do you have enough free space on your hard disk. The hiberfil.sys file needs to be the same size as your RAM.

Also, to view the hiberfil.sys file you have to disable hiding system files as well as showing hidden files.

Comment

Hell yes, I have about 20GB free and 512MB RAM.

Trust me, I have all possible files showing.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by kernow
                          Hi!

Comment

Hello,

It does sound like a corrupt file. Boot into SAFE MODE, and then see if it is on your c:\ partition. If it is, zap it, and start again.

If you can't see it in Safe Mode, then sorry for wasting your time!

C_S

Comment

Working...
                            X