Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new motherboard advice which could solve memory probem (WoW/iTunes related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new motherboard advice which could solve memory probem (WoW/iTunes related)

Hey guys im havin a bit o trouble with my comp and im not sure if its down to the motherboard or not. I currently have is an ASUS P4SD-LA Motherboard with a p4 2.8hz and 512mb of ram (HP T450.UK desktop). I purchased an extra 512mb of memory (infineon) and all seemed fine..till I tried loadin WoW which as some of u know is quite a memory heavy game and not long after loading up my machine just reboots as if someone has unplugged the power! I ran the windows memory test and left it runnin for a few hours and after many many checks the memory didnt seem to have any errors. Also I tried to see how it would do with other apps so i left my machine on for a few days, bittorrent, msn messenger, photoshop and adobe premier all worked fine and the machine didnt hiccup at all...soon as i put on WoW it crashed again . Strange how when playing that one game my machine goes tits up and i noticed it done it a couple times on itunes too (another memory heavy app). I replaced the measily 250w power supply that came with the machine with a 450w and that didnt help either...so if the memory checks out fine could it be the motherboard?

If so I need to find a new one, something thats gonna support my processor, memory and agp gfx card so hopefully nutin too pricey!

another question i have is when u replace the motherboard is a windows re install required or is it no different to adding memory or changing a gfx card?

Also ive taken the strip out so im back on 512 and the comp is like it used to be wit no probs, I also tried just havin the new strip in the comp and that too works fine it just dont seem to like the 1 gig business...hmmm

Answers on a postcard!

Have you tried checking the mobo manual?

With some motherboards you are required to run memory modules in specific slots. On mine for example I can only run 2x512's in slots 1 and 3 on the board, with slots 2 and 4 remaining empty.

Are the slots colour coded at all? This usually gives an indication as to whether you need to insert in a certain combination.

Comment

unfortunatly hp dont give out motherboard manuals and theres only 2 places where the memory can go and the 512 that came wit the machine is occupying one of those slots...would it be worth tryin swapping them around?

Comment

I take it the 512 you bought was the same speed and frequency as the stuff you had in it to start with?

Comment

it is i just took out the module already installed the make of the memory is hynix...should i chuck it and buy memory of the same make?
          Last edited by Pjam2003; 16-01-2006, 22:45.

Comment

Its not the make, there are all sorts of speeds and stuff to consider.

download this

http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.ht...264&langx=en&a=

from here

then run the performance tune up wizard and it should tell you all the information about your current RAM

Comment

Working...
            X