Can anyone help with my DS wi-fi woes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone help with my DS wi-fi woes?

Anyone in the Animal Crossing thread already knows about this but I'm throwing it out to the masses to try to get some help. Any pointers, tests, anything would be really appreciated.

Story so far-
    I have Windows XP and DSL broadband. I got one of those Cable & Wireless USB keys to play Mario Kart over wi-fi. This was back when MK came out. It worked great with no problems at all. I followed instructions in a thread here to get it set up (installing, setting my broadband connection as a bridge, and setting it to access mode). It worked while playing Animal Crossing too.

But, about a week ago now, it seemed to stop working. Almost every time I try to connect I get an error message. Usually it's the one that says it connected to an access point but couldn't connect to WFC. As it had worked fine, I actually thought it was WFC servers causing the problem initially. But the problem still persists and other people are having no connection problems.

What's weird is that, once or twice, it has actually connected since the problems started, but I usually get that error.

So far I have tried -
    Reinstalling all the wireless USB key drivers.
    XP System restore to several different times.
    Turning off startup task thingies.
    Scanning for virus/spyware/adware.
    Adding WEP protection to stop leeching.
    Resetting the connection settings of the DS.

Nothing seems to have any effect. I am at a loss as to what may have changed or what I should be looking for.

Can anyone help?

Edit: Anyone know about forwarding ports? Would that make a difference? I don't think the DS has its own IP address or anything so I can't see how I could do that.

Another edit: I should also mention that when I try to connect outside of the game, like in the wi-fi settings, the connection tests are successful every time. But Mario Kart is also having difficulty connecting.
    Last edited by Dogg Thang; 19-01-2006, 17:07.

I think I have it sorted at last. I thought that before so I won't celebrate just yet but here's my theory - every few weeks my ISP assigns new IP addresses. I suspected mine, for whatever reason, was dodgy. So I called them up and they gave me manual settings for IP, gateway and all that DNS stuff. That seems to have done the trick. Those dynamic addresses had caused me problems in the past.

I hope this is the end of it. If anyone has similar trouble, see if you can get a static IP address.

Comment

Working...
    X