Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decent Shuttle PC?

Guys,

Yes ive been flitting between building a new pc to building a laptop and scrapping the pc and now ive finally settled on buildling a wee shuttle pc with the eventual aim of plugging it into my new lcd telly

I just wondered if anyone knew of any good manufacturers of high spec micro atx systems?

so far ive found this on overclockers.co.uk for ?1500 which is about what im willing to pay, and i reckon its decent, what do you guys think?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 'San Diego' 2.2GHz Dual Core CPU
    - NVIDIA nForce4 "PCI-Express" (Socket 939) Dual DDR400 Motherboard
    - GeForce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    - GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) DDR PC3200 CAS2.5 Dual Channel Memory Kit
    - 250GB Western Digital Caviar SE16 16MB Cache SATA-2 Hard Drive
    - Pioneer DVR-110BK 16X Dual Layer DVD?RW Silver ReWriter Drive
    - Onboard 6CH Audio
    - 10/100 LAN
    - Silverstone Sugo SG01 Case
    - Antec NeoHE 430W ATX Power Supply
    - Front & Rear Firewire IEEE1394 Connectors
    - Front & Rear USB2.0 Ports
    - Front Headphone & Microphone Ports
    - Samsung 19" LCD 8ms Monitor (Silver/Black)
    - Logitech S 510 Cordless Keyboard & Mouse (Silver/Black)
    - Logitech S100 10W RMS Speakers (Beige/Silver)
    - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Pre-Install & Supplied with CD/License

I mean the specs are top notch, but I can't help thinking the price is a bit on the high side. This is pre-built, I presume?

Also, AMD are releasing a new line of CPUs this year. So buying a current AMD64 system for full whack might not be the safest option for the future.

Comment

Seems slightly high price and not sure about having something so mix and match - its a great spec but a good deal of the selling points are a part of a medium-decent mobo nowadays anyway. Also seems a bit daft spending 250 as part of 1500 when you`ll be plugging it into an lcd tv anyway.

And yes, AMD are releasing a new cpu line later this year - but you could have said that at any time during the last 5 years. Another thing is that case on the overclockers system is deceptive in pictures - its doesn`t look that far off my yeong yang cube and thats way bigger than a shuttle. So don`t order it expecting a nice tiny lil system thats the same as a shuttle because it won`t be THAT small. Shuttles are usually A4 footprint (30cm x 20cm roughly), and that is 39cm x 26cm ish. Doesn`t sound a lot but thats pretty much 2 shuttles side by side.

I`d go for a proper shuttle barebones with similar cpu etc. Depends how bothered you are about SATA2 as thats about the only bit shuttle haven`t got to market in any magnitude yet. If its just a general pc, that one is nice spec - if its going thru an lcd tv why not get something like a proper hp media center for similar cash, or build something shuttle-like with media capability in mind?

Comment

Working...
      X