No RGB on US Dreamcast?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No RGB on US Dreamcast?!

Hey... I just got a Modded US Dreamcast off Lik-Sang.com and guess what... My RGB cable doesn't work with it! I get a black screen with sound. The Composite A/V that came with it works but the RGB doesn't... What the hell? I was under the impression that all DC's support RGB. Or then my DC's defective? I have a UK non-modded DC as well but the RGB works with it fine.

My Jap DC supports rgb and I'm 99.9% certain that the US version does as well. Sounds like it may well be borked.

The only other thing I can think of is that the game you're trying to play doesn't support rgb video (a few such as Gigawing, NFL2k etc. don't). However, if the main system menu doesn't display when there isn't a disc inserted then that's not the problem.

Comment

Like I said, I get a black screen with NO sound. This applies to the whole system, not the game. The TV screen does a flash but that's about it. The composite lead works fine. I tried the RGB lead on my other non-RGB Scart input on my TV and I get no picture from it either... But then the lead works great with my PAL DC. I have no idea what's wrong here. I'd go so far as to think that the modification of the console has shot or mixed up some of the video connections within it but since I know nothing of the workings of a Dreamcast who am I to make those assumptions. This sucks. I payed a pretty penny for that DC and it costs a whole lot to send it back!
      Last edited by danholo; 20-01-2006, 11:19.

Comment

That really sucks mate.

It may just be a coincidence & nothing to do with the mod as I bought an unmodded PAL Dreamcast off of ebay and the rgb output had exactly the same problem. Worked perfectly fine with the rf lead & vga though.

Not sure if it's possible to fix - anyone know?

Comment

your first post
          Originally posted by danholo
          I get a black screen with sound.
          your second post
          Originally posted by danholo
          Like I said, I get a black screen with NO sound.

Comment

You sure the RGB cable goes all the way into the DC's av port? some of them tend to be incredibly tight and don't go all the way in (I've had this with two cables - ending up with no picture. Unless you really ram it in there). Otherwise, which games are you testing? as tom-nook says some games simply do not support RGB, and will instead give you nothing at all.

Comment

You need to connect two points in the DC's video out port to get RGB.
              I think the official RGB SCART lead has these pins linked in the actual connector, so that the RGB functions correctly, although that's just theorising as I haven't opened the connector to check.
              You can see which points these are (it's a 1 wire job!) here
              Kiss kiss!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHolliss
                your first post

your second post

Whoops.. Anyway, I get a black screen with sound. I guess I'm just a bit agitated. When your expectations aren't met, you sulk and get inpatient. At least I do.

Originally posted by vertigo
                You need to connect two points in the DC's video out port to get RGB.
                I think the official RGB SCART lead has these pins linked in the actual connector, so that the RGB functions correctly, although that's just theorising as I haven't opened the connector to check.
                You can see which points these are (it's a 1 wire job!) here
                Kiss kiss!
                Thanks man, I was checking that out. But ****, I really got that machine in order not to have to open one! Reason being I'm an amateur at soldering.

In other words, I'd only have to connect one wire where it says "Rgb on/off switch"? And not bother about anything else on that page?
                Last edited by danholo; 20-01-2006, 12:09.

Comment

Use a bit of shielded wire and some electrical tape then. I used to. Seriously.

Comment

I had that too at first (black screen & no sound) with my modded US machine & RGB cable that I also bought from Lik-Sang. After exercising an extreme amount of force on the connector it finally went in deeper in the socket on the DC. This solved the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by eretsua
                      I had that too at first (black screen & no sound) with my modded US machine & RGB cable that I also bought from Lik-Sang. After exercising an extreme amount of force on the connector it finally went in deeper in the socket on the DC. This solved the problem.
                      But I have sound.... Sorry for the contradicting info guys. I had the problem you mentioned with my PAL DC at first but I used force as well.

Comment

Originally posted by vertigo
                        Use a bit of shielded wire and some electrical tape then. I used to. Seriously.
                        Eh? No soldering needed, huh? Isn't it too small to connect it this way?

Comment

No soldering if you don't want to, as long as you still connect it up securely.
                          I don't take any responsibility for your Blue Peter-esque tinkerings if you short something incorrectly and it breaks though, if you want it done properly, solder it.

Comment

Working...
                          X