Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screen slightly stretched vertically when playing 60hz games. Is that normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen slightly stretched vertically when playing 60hz games. Is that normal?

That is what i get. Last night i noticed that in a racing game the speedmeter shape was not as circular as it was supposed to be. The screen is stretched vertically. It is not very noticeable and still playable but it is a bit anoying.
    Is there any way to do to fix that? Is it a common problem?
    Thanks

What console are we talking about here?

I have the same problem with vertical stretching in Dreamcast 60hz mode. However my PS2 is absolutly fine.

Comment

Hmm... My games are never stretched but with many NTSC games the screen does not fit "entirely" into the TV screen i.e. a couple of lines are cut off.... I wonder why, since NTSC has LESS vertical lines then PAL. But I've learned to live with it. With one game though (Tales of Destiny 2j) it's almost unbearable. I guess if I'd get a better TV, I'd have better luck. However, this never happens with DVD's.

Comment

It happened with my both consoles PS2 and cube. It seems to be a preety common problem but i found out how to fix it.

All modern TVs have a hidden setting menu. You can change the geometri settings there, just like a monitor!!! I did it and now i can see a perfect 60Hz image. How to get there? You need to know a secret keystroke you will find in the service manual. http://www.eserviceinfo.com/ is a good site if you are looking for your tv service manual.
        Last edited by bidermaier; 22-01-2006, 20:09.

Comment

Hmm... Cool. The funny thing is I tried both my SNES and US GC via the S-Video and the picture isn't cut off in any way. I guess it's only the RGB that does it with the 60hz option.

To tell you the truth, I found little difference between S-Video and RGB which I found a little amusing with all the RGB stress I've been having lately. Only thing noticeable is the coloring. Red color in particular has more depth to it with RGB. Both pictures are as sharp though - at least on my TV.

Comment

i have it with all my consoles (the vertical stretching in NTSC mode). it annoys the hell out of me. also they are all misaligning to the right...which annoys me even more.

And on top of that I can't find a service manual for my Sharp LC-205-H1e either. Bleh!

*okay end of whining mode.*

Comment

Originally posted by danholo
              Hmm... Cool. The funny thing is I tried both my SNES and US GC via the S-Video and the picture isn't cut off in any way. I guess it's only the RGB that does it with the 60hz option.
              You'll find lots of TVs have this problem with RGB (off-center image), particularly older and/or cheaper sets. Very odd.

Comment

I had that problem too (with all NTSC consoles via RGB @ 60 hz), but ever since I started using my Joytech AV scart switch, it's disappeared. Apparently, the wiring inside the Joytech Kit fixes the problem. It's real nice now! The BTW - I use this :
                http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=s...C&title=680940.

Comment

Well, I went to the service settings to change the ratios etc but now the PAL stuff is off. I was thinking of getting one of those Joytech AV centres but they cost a nice amount. I'll save one of those for later.

My Panasonic is a very nice TV. It's not a flat screen but I've been happy with it. I guess nothing's perfect. And I'm not getting an LCD TV until the picture quality improves considerably. IMO, CRT TV's are much sharper.
                  Last edited by danholo; 23-01-2006, 23:52.

Comment

Working...
                  X