Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend me a good network book please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend me a good network book please!

I'm fed up with not knowing about networks and 'just getting by' where their setting up is concerned. ft:

So I'm after a good book that will give me a working understanding of the subject. I don't want to become a systems administrator, just enough to know what I'm doing and why!

Anyone got any good recommendations?

I'm currently looking at this one linky but I'm a little worried that because it was published in '04 it won't cover XP in its present form, ie with SP2's feature set.

Dummies guide to Networking?

Comment

Cant go wrong with a cisco book, the introductory books the the CCNA are a good start, assuming you know some general pc stuff

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'm still mulling this over...

Comment

you could use google and the RFC's to learn about TCP/IP, its well documented online, and probably in lots of free e-books and pdf downloads from o'reilly too

Comment

Yeah I know, others have suggested the same.

I guess I'd just like it all in one place and explained to me in nice simple terms and lots of pretty pictures!

Comment

Ive read a few of Sams books, I read the 2000-based Netowrking one a few years back. It was pretty good I thought, explained things well and gave some good troubleshooting advice. As good a place as any to start methinks.

Comment

I've got a couple of Sams 'Teach yourself' books and would recommend them.

Comment

networking for dummies or home networking for dummies are both good I found.

Comment

Working...
                  X