Networking problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking problems.

Ok - I have a problem. And a pretty big one.

Yesterday, everything was working fine, then my dad turned off the router, then turned it back on again, and all of a sudden everything's gone tits up.

No router settings have changed, no connection settings on this machine have changed. I'm now completely unable to connect to PlayOnline through Xbox Live, and i'm unable to connect to Steam through PC.

The connection lights show me sending, but not receiving. Also, something inside my PC is making a slight hissing noise whenever I try connecting to steam. It only ever happens when I try this, then stops when I click cancel.

I'm wirelessly networked, I think the router is a Linksys WAG54G.

It sounds kinda like some ports have perhaps been closed or a firewall turned on.

Playonline and Steam are both highly dependant on specific ports being open

Comment

They are?

I've never had ports mapped to this machine apart from a few specific ones that I use for shoutcasting.

It's odd that it's decided to be fussy about them now, and not before.

Comment

Ok, a quick update.

This morning, everything suddenly started working. Websites that I couldn't view were now working, steam and playonline worked, however it's now done it again. Completely randomly, after the wireless signal just cut out.

I can't connect to google, images on websites keep breaking because the connection times out, steam is broken again, and MSN won't connect.

However a select few things work. Xbox Live is working now, albeit randomly disconnecting, this website is working completely.

Edit: This website ISN'T working completely, the banner at the top of the page refuses to load.
        Last edited by Silvergun X; 23-01-2006, 16:23.

Comment

Working...
        X