Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belkin Wireless G Router - speed question

Hi,

I just got a Belkin Wireless G Router and USB2 wireless network card (both 54mbps) from PC World. Our cable internet connection is 10mbps.

When I connect to the router with an ethernet cable via the four port switch, I can get download times of just over 1 megabyte per second from UK servers.

However, when I connect using the USB adaptor I can get just under 200k per second at best! I've tried it on multiple computers, and even had the usb adaptor less than a foot away from the router, still 200k per second at best.

Surely I should be able to get much better speeds than that? After all, the wireless speed is 54mbps and the cable connection is 10mbps, so surely there should be enough wireless bandwidth to get a full speed connection to the net?

USB isn't massively high bandwidth, i think its about 2 meg max for USb 1.0.

if your pc is within a couple of years old it should be USB 2.0, maybe try checking that is enabled in the bios

Comment

I'm pretty sure I was using USB 2 sockets, as I usually get a warning up saying "if you plug this device into a USB 2 socket it will work faster" if I use a USB 1 socket, and I never got that message. Just in case I did try it on virtually all the sockets on one PC (which is only about two months old) just in case, and it was the same slow speed every time.

Comment

Working...
      X