LCD PC Monitor LCD - Widescreen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCD PC Monitor LCD - Widescreen?

My old CRT monitor is on its last legs and I need to upgrade asap. And I'm torn as what to buy, either a widescreen LCD monitor or a 5:4 LCD monitor. Cost isn't a big issue but ideally I'd like to keep it under ?300.

The use of the monitor will mainly be for gaming, but I'll also be using standard windows based applications. So for me a high resolution and a low response rate are probably the most important things to me.

Ideally I think I'd prefer a widescreen monitor, but there are concerns which I need adressing before I can make my final choice. The biggest concern is running older games in a widescreen apsect ration, will I be able to run those which don't support a widescreen resolution in 5:4 with borders or will they run stretched across the screen? Any information regards to running older games on a widescreen monitor would be of great help.

Now for the monitors I've lined up:

5:4

Samsung SM913N 19"
    ?180
    1280x1024
    8ms

Samsung SM930BF 19"
    ?240
    1280x1024
    4ms

Hyundai Imagequest Q90U
    ?340
    1280x1024
    3ms

Widescreen

Acer AL1916WS 19"
    ?175
    1440x900
    8ms

Acer AL2016WS 20"
    ?275
    1650x1050
    8ms

Dell 2005FPW
    ?375
    1650x1050
    16ms

If anyone has experience of any of these monitors opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

i've currently got the dell2005 fpw and its fantastic

lots of the newer games support widescreen mode anyway, if not supported officially the image is stretched, although many older games can be setup by modding a few settings in the config files

google a forum called widescreen gaming, theresloads of info on there about it

definately a thumbs up from me for the dell though, films etc look great on it too

go and get one

Comment

I've found a few newer games that don't support the widescreen resolutions, Also the other thing to bear in mind is that you'll always want to be running the games in your screens native resolution, otherwise it'll be all blurry.

Have you got a PC that is going to be able to run games comfortably at such high resolutions?

Comment

Be aware before you plump for the 2005, that Dell have a new range out very soon. The 3007 has already replaced the 3005, and the 2407 is due very soon to replace the 2405 (wish it'd hurry up). Not sure if there's a 2007 on the way but worth looking into.

Comment

Widescreen

Acer AL1916WS 19"
          ?175
          1440x900
          8ms
          I currently use that monitor with my 360 and I find that it's great, not had any problems with it yet.

Comment

I eventually decided on this monitor

Belinea 102035W 20.1"
            ?330
            1680x1050
            8ms

Only had it a day or two and I'm very impressed it. Blacks are much better than I ever could have expected and I can see hardly any lag/blur, so the fears of going to an LCD have been overcome (thats not saying I think LCD's are better than CTR's though).

My DVI cable has yet to arrive though, so I'm just running VGA which means it might look even better once hooked up with that

Highly recommended.

Comment

Working...
            X