I need a component switcher...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a component switcher...

I had intended to get a farmer box from MrModchips, but the sites been down for a while, and according to the holding page, won't be back up 'til 16 feb ><

I'd like to get a switcher before that - can anyone point me in the direction of an alternative? I've found a few on the interweb, but they all seem to be from US sources and I'm not sure about compatibility issues.

I'll be using it to connect a UK 360 and an NTSC PS2 to a Samsung LE32R41BDX HD flatscreen.

Ta.

This one is nice and cheap, good quality even though it looks a little 'basic'.

Comment

Depends what you want from it really but I went for one of these:

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tv...eo-switch.html

Not the cheapest out there but if you don't want to sacrifice on picture quality then this is perfect.
      I have a Sony V40 and have my 360, DVD and Cube all through this with digital optical sound through my amp and it's fantastic (no loss in picture quality).
      Make sure that you use decent component cables though I went for these:

http://www.hificables.co.uk/ProductD...tegoryID/2384/

and they are great.
      Good luck.

Comment

I use the farmer one in the play-asia post - no discernible quality loss to my meagre eyes and as cheap as. You'll pay more than you would on play-asia but if you must have one now, you could ebay one.

Don't want to hijack your thread, but has anyone tried daisy chaining these? As in, linking two boxes up together to allow 4-5 component inputs? My 360 has usurped my gamecube which equals hassle whenever i want to play on the cube, and the situation's only going to get worse with new technologicalmachines coming out.

Comment

Originally posted by neil2k
          Make sure that you use decent component cables though I went for these:

http://www.hificables.co.uk/ProductD...tegoryID/2384/

and they are great.
          yup QED are superb cables...

Comment

Originally posted by unknown_citizen
            I use the farmer one in the play-asia post - no discernible quality loss to my meagre eyes and as cheap as.
            I was thinking about getting one of these and for around ?10 including delivery from Play-Asia, you can't go wrong. I might order one now.

Comment

I've got that one on Play-Asia (I bought it from Lik-Sang Europe so I paid a bit more though) and it works perfectly. I'm running my PS2 and 360 through it and I can't see any quality loss. You really can't complain for the price.

I actually wrote impressions of it on my blog when I got it here [/shamelessplug]

Comment

right, i ordered 2 of the farmer switchers and they arrived today... very glad i did order 2 as the one that works is great, cannot notice any loss in picture quality at all from my previous 'cable swap' setup. anyway, yeah the second switcher doesn't work. well it kinda works but doesn't give you the picture you're expecting as there's ghosting and colour shift all over the place (though to be fair for the cash i wasn't expecting much!). when i shake the box, something rattles about inside it!! not good, only need one so the other can go back for a refund/swap/whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by unknown_citizen
                  Don't want to hijack your thread, but has anyone tried daisy chaining these? As in, linking two boxes up together to allow 4-5 component inputs?

Sort of.

The farmer didnt work for me. I have a Panasonic lxd500 and it gave major interference at 720p and 1080i,so i got an Audio Authority switcher,and have a farmer running off of it with the GC and PS2 into it.

No interference on those 2 whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Crisp_Rapper
                    right, i ordered 2 of the farmer switchers and they arrived today... very glad i did order 2 as the one that works is great, cannot notice any loss in picture quality at all from my previous 'cable swap' setup. anyway, yeah the second switcher doesn't work. well it kinda works but doesn't give you the picture you're expecting as there's ghosting and colour shift all over the place (though to be fair for the cash i wasn't expecting much!). when i shake the box, something rattles about inside it!! not good, only need one so the other can go back for a refund/swap/whatever.
                    Mine has now been dispatched from Play-Asia and I hope it arrives in one piece!

Comment

Originally posted by MJ
                      Mine has now been dispatched from Play-Asia and I hope it arrives in one piece!
                      It arrived yesterday and I set it up and there is no signal loss at all.

It's a great low cost solution for a lack of component inputs.

Comment

Working...
                      X