More Firefox Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Firefox Questions

I'm a long-time Opera user, and while Firefox is undeniably more compatible, and almost certainly more secure, there's one or two things I got used to which I'm missing. It's not quite so smooth or pretty, but I can live with that - the only one which is really, really doing my head in is the seemingly random way in which Firefox decides whether to open a new tab in the current browser, or a whole new browser.

Can I tell Firefox that I only ever want ONE browser, and that every time it tries to open a new window it should do so on a tab? None of the options in the "Tabs" section seem to do that.

These are the options I've got... this would appear to say, "open everything in the same window". But in a half-hour of browsing this morning, I ended up with three browsers.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DaiSuki; 10-02-2006, 07:23.

Use the tab mix plus extension, it will give you more control over tabs and their use than you could ever dream of!

Comment

Nice one, I'll have a look

Cheers

Comment

Yep, that seems to be pretty comprehensive Cheers

Comment

Extensions are why FF pisses all over IE. IE 7 will have to be something special to beat the current king.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the options Firefox provides - if you go to the address bar and type in

about:config

it will take you to the configuration page.

In filter enter: "browser.link.open"
            external should be set to 3
            newwindow should be set to 3
            and newwindow.restriction should be set to 2

This will force everything other than javascript pop-ups (stuff like Gamespot's video streamer) to open in one window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewfee
              about:config

In filter enter: "browser.link.open"
              external should be set to 3
              newwindow should be set to 3
              and newwindow.restriction should be set to 2

This will force everything other than javascript pop-ups (stuff like Gamespot's video streamer) to open in one window.
              Excellent

Comment

Working...
              X