Gamespot Complete - worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gamespot Complete - worth it?

As per title, thinking of signing up - mainly for the HD video downloads, in particular the weekly show, can any tell me what the quality of these are like? Are they widescreen? I would be viewing on a 42" HD Plasma via Xbox 360 and MCE PC

I've been a GS Complete member since 2002 and I really like it. It's especially good around the big shows because GS doesn't slow to a crawl in the way that IGN does.

To be honest you don't get as many benefits as you used to (the whole review archive and even streaming versions of some videos used to only be for members), but I like the site and gladly pay for the fact that you don't get any ads as a subscriber. I've only tried a couple of HD videos because I'm on an iBook which is too slow to play back HD WMV smoothly, but the quality was excellent. One thing you can't fault GS for are the production values of their video content.

Besides, it's only like ?17 for a year. I almost spend that in two months on magazines, and you'll definitely get your money's worth over E3.

Comment

Didn't know it was so cheap, I may just go for this.

Comment

Actually it's not as cheap as I said - it's $39.95 and not the $29.95 that I thought. That's still ?23 though which I think is pretty reasonable.

Comment

Think it used to be $29.95.....

Anyone tell me what the res is of the WMV-HD clips generally?

Looks like the On the Spot show is only in low res, so might not bother now
          Last edited by Gavin; 11-02-2006, 20:11.

Comment

I got one of the HD Burnout videos and it wasn't that high (can't remember exactly, but it was only a bit over 576p), but I just downloaded one of the new Ghost Recon ones and it's in the full 1280x720 glory. My iBook was lucky to survive even if the occasional frames that I managed to see looked pretty gorgeous. That game will be spectacular.

I just wish they'd make HD videos available in H.264 through Quicktime 7

Comment

It's worth it for E3 and the like.

Comment

Working...
              X