N64 RGB Amplification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N64 RGB Amplification

I am wanting to perform the N64 RGB Amplification mod to my RGB'ed N64, the one detailed on this page.

As you can see, the page is down! You basically join 2 points on the mainboard. Can someone tell me what to do?

can't find any other site that details it, if you use this guide though http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/n64rgb.htm for the rgb mod but lift the actual chip pins from the board before soldering the wires to them, you will get a clean, bright rgb image (the rgb amplification mod tends to give a noisy picture)

Comment

Thanks, I'm not skilled enough to do that one though.

I bought the machine pre-moddified, and while I have sucky soldering skills, they're good enough to do the RGB amplification.

Comment

rats! i tried the wayback machine but it didn't show the pics (showed the text, though). shame, that - wayback machine was my saviour when i needed to access Tony's Saturn Page

Comment

Archive link:

No pics though.

Comment

Thanks. That ones a little more complex than the one I'm trying to perform though, which is just a simple solder bridge on the mainboard.

Comment

I had to take the site down as it was costing too much in traffic

Here's the pic you want, info came from Saur in the first instance.

Pete
              Attached Files

Comment

Ah excellent mate I'll give that a go! I just join up the 2 red marks with a solder bridge?

Comment

Yep. Sorry, i forgot to say - join the 2 red dots. It's located quite close to the AV socket.

Pete

Comment

Seems the guy did the Amplification mod already!

Wondering why it looked so crap, I dug out an old 3rd party GC Scart and shorted the capacitors to make it N64-friendly and it looked much better! Still a bit meh though... probably a combination of my LCD TV not liking the resolution, coupled with the N64 constantly looking like a foggy mess to begin with.

Fired up some Perfect Dark... man was the game always this unplayable in Hi-Res mode?! It halfs the framerate! Much better turned off, and only lookd marginally different.

I might pick up an official Ninty GC Scart and short the capacitors on that for use on N64 - I assume the official Nintendo cable works fine for this?
                    Last edited by sj33; 11-02-2006, 22:01.

Comment

i dl'd a video of perfect dark running on an overclocked n64 @ 180mhz in hi-res and it was around 30fps. naturally there's the possibility of the whole thing being fake...

problem is it seems the older n64's are rgb-moddable but not overclockable, and the newer ones are the opposite (or the other way round - i can't remember!)

i'd love to try it on mine if it was possible...

Comment

Working...
                      X