Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help with setting up aol and xbox live on a 360 wirelessly

Hello.

I want to link up my xbox 360 to my aol broadband connection to xbox live. I have decided to go wireless because the bb connection is in my study and the xbox is linked to a samsung 32" lcd tv in my room. Moving one to the other isnt an option so that why wireless sounds like its the best for me.

Yesterday I purchased the xbox 360 wireless connector thing for the back of the 360 and I also bought online a (admittely cheapo - on a budget till I can afford something abit better) Netgear MR 814.

Basically I'm after help on what to do once the router arrives. I have already put the 360 wireless connector on the back of the xbox. Is it simply a case of plugging the router in and making a wi-fi link between them?

If it helps I have a BT Voyager 105 adsl modem. I have also already set up a console connection in the network connections part in windows xp control panel.

Any help with this would be a massive help as I don't know that much about networking yet.

Thanks in advance

Mark

OK, first things first. Unfortunately the Netgear MR814 isn't going to work with the voyager 105. The 105 is solely a USB device and needs Windows dial up networking to make a connection. There's no way you can connect a USB modem to a router because 1) it won't have a USB socket and 2) it won't be able to make the connection without being connected directly to a PC.

Afraid it's time to lose the 105 one way or another (and IMHO good riddance). You're either gonna need to cancel the router and buy a wireless modem/router combined (such as the netgear dg834g) or get an ethernet modem (such as a D-Link DSL 300t). The ethernet modem will make the broadband connection itself, which the router can then split between your PC(s) and 360.

Personally I'd suggest ditching the MR814 and getting the combined DG834G. They're a doddle to set up and it's gonna be cheaper.

Basically the first job is getting the router set up so that your PC works. Forget console connections, shouldn't be necessary. As long as you follow the instructions with the router/modem, check with AOL for the connection settings and you should be fine.

Once that's up and running, as far as the 360's concerned (and bear in mind that I don't have one and have only second hand knowledge of the setup) it should be as simple as scanning for your wireless network, entering the encryption key (see the router's instructions) and it should pick up your connection settings automatically.

Tell you what, PM me if you have any trouble. Until recently I did tech support for an ISP, and I'm off on the sick for the next 2 weeks, so am a trifle bored.....

Comment

thanks for the help ben k. ill get the DG834G and go from there

Comment

Right, ive got the DG834G Now. Ive just tried setting it up with aol but ive had no luck. If you could do an idiots guide to getting aol and the router working id be very grateful!

I need to to work with aol normally, so id like to be able to log in as normal with aol and view its content, also id like to log into xbox live via aol.

Many Thanks.

Comment

Here we go

Comment

legend!

thankyou!

Comment

when i try the typing in the IP address part it won't load the page. any idea where im going wrong?

Comment

try making sure ALL antivirus and firewalls are switched off, this includes the windows Firewall.

Comment

Working...
                X