Windows ME Task Bar Freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows ME Task Bar Freezing

We have an old Packard Bell running Windows ME, which came bundled with it, but lately the task bar keeps freezing. The clock stops and you can't use the sytem tray or quick launch items.

If I go to Task Manager and end the Explorer task, which doesn't shut the PC down when the task bar has froze, it works like normal again.

Sometimes this freezing doesn't happen at all.

I've run virus and spyware scans, to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas or fixes for this problem?

Not sure, but have you the latest drivers? Ive not used ME before but if you have the original CD try SFC /SCANNOW from a DOS prompt to verify the system files. Does it freeze when you do anything in particular?

Comment

It was one of those retailer software bundles, so it doesn't have standalone Windows discs, but I'll see what I can find.

It's just seems to freeze at random and when it freezes you can't click the Start button and the Windows key shortcuts don't work, e.g. Windows key + E or Windows Key + R, but you can still double click desktop icons and use Alt + Tab to select whatever you may have open.

The PC is predominantly used for internet browsing and some occasional document writing.

I may have to take the format and start again route, but am trying to avoid this if possible.

Comment

check the list of running processes again in taskman, and see if youve got anything suspicious in there - I remember the belsta virus causing stuff like this back in the day. tbh though, ME is a POS best wiped off, even in favour of 98 if the PC isnt up to the task of XP

Comment

Originally posted by tezmo
          check the list of running processes again in taskman, and see if youve got anything suspicious in there - I remember the belsta virus causing stuff like this back in the day. tbh though, ME is a POS best wiped off, even in favour of 98 if the PC isnt up to the task of XP
          Nothing strange that I can see and anything that was strange I've removed, but ME's Task Manager isn't as detailed as XP's or Windows 2000's.

I'm not sure if it would cope with XP, but never thought of going backwards, might be worth it.

Comment

Working...
          X