Port Forwarding (Again, most likely)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Port Forwarding (Again, most likely)

I may have asked about Port Forwarding before and to be honest I thought I'd cracked it when I got Bittorrent to run without any hitches.

However, I am now struggling once again. This time it is for Command & Conquer: Generals for my brother's PC (a different machine to the one which BT runs on).

99% of the time when he tries to connect to online matches he gets an error message saying he (or another player) has failed to connect. The fact that it is happening to him so often, against players who have a win-loss record, is a pretty clear indication that the problem is at our end.

My immediate thought was port-forwarding or firewall so as a test I disabled the Windows Firewall he got into about 4 matches against a single opponent but the message kept appearing when he attempted to enter games with more than 2 players.

I then looked at the documentation for the game and it did mention 7 ports (5 TCP, 2 UDP) so I entered them into the router settings (the fact that the router only seems to accept 10 forwarded ports meant I had to remove some of the bittorrent ones) but still he couldn't connect so I come to people far wiser than me for advice.

Also, when forwarding ports I notice you need to enter an IP address. An IP is different for every computer right so say the final number on my comp is 28 and his is 21, does that I have to forward port 6881 for both IPs in the router settings?

Finally, how come his machine can connect to the Final fantasy XI servers with no hassle. I have never had to do any port forwarding for that game on any machine. Is there a reason?

Worth taking a look at, there's also a guide on how the whole port forwarding thing works if there's something you're unsure on - its helped me out a number of times with some of my games too.
    Last edited by Daragon; 20-02-2006, 20:12.

Comment

That was my first 'port' (ho ho) of call. :/

Comment

As I remember from my brief time with that game, the problem you seem to be facing wasn't exactly rare - I know EA released a patch to help with the matter and I'm pretty sure it was this one although I can't be certain. Might be worth taking a look at the official site/forums

Comment

Originally posted by C'
          Also, when forwarding ports I notice you need to enter an IP address. An IP is different for every computer right so say the final number on my comp is 28 and his is 21, does that I have to forward port 6881 for both IPs in the router settings?
          The IP you have to enter is the internal IP of the PC you want to forward the ports of. To get this ip open a dos command box (go to run in the start menu and type ipconfig). If your brother will only play the game on his own pc then you only have to use the IP of his PC.

Comment

Working...
          X