Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow Download Speed

Hi

I recently built a new PC and flogged the laptop.

I have AOL (crap) and renewed my usenet account..

But-I am only receiving download speeds of 15KB/s instead of the 200 i got before...

I have a 2meg connection and use Grabit to get the data. AOL insist that my connection is fine...

any ideas?

Possibly the hardware between the socket and PC.

Got a router? USB modem? Possibly one of those.

Comment

got a USB modem...

It was fine literally a week ago.

So annoying...

Should i change the USB that the modem is plugged into?

Comment

Are you only receiving slow speeds off usenet? Try some other stuff and see if you get the same/do a speed test to check your line speed (google for it). I think it's pretty unlikely to be anything to do with the modem.

Comment

Did a speed test and it I got 111mps

Not as good as usual but way better than 15.6 i was getting on usenet..

I emailed Usenet and they were changing some stuff on my connection to see what happens. I cant check it as i am at work-should that do the trick?

Comment

I'm going to assume you meant 111kb/s. That'd be fine, it's going to be a problem somewhere between your ISP and usenet then, if they can't do anything then there's nothing you can do about it I reckon, other than switch ISP

Comment

F***** ****

Oh well-moving soon so am cancelling AOL.

Who do other people use on here? I was thinking of going to Bethere or NTL...

Comment

There are definitely a fair few threads around about this, kinda depends what you want. I'm very happy on pipex, but they're relatively expensive. Bethere sounds good, but I don't know much about them.

Comment

Zen. They're not cheap but the extra ching gets you a far superior service.

Comment

I'm on NTL, they're good, but there's always the worry that they might actually enforce download limits at some point.

Comment

Sorted it: Needed to install new modem drivers!!

Thanks for all the help guys

Comment

Working...
                      X