Importing nightmares (PSP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing nightmares (PSP)

So, the other day I take out my Lik-Sang imported Ceramic White PSP out of my jacket pocket. My firend asks: "what does the disk look like". I try to open it and the open switch is stuck in the "open" position but the slot hasn't opened. I don't know how that's possible. Anyway, I try opening it and guess what, the switch comes off!

Other problems with my PSP, the analog stick gets "stuck" when the control is pushed to the left. If I don't move it to another direction, the machine think I'm pressing to the left. I have one dead pixel on the bottom right corner of the screen but it hasn't bothered me.

Anyway, I contacted Lik-Sand about the problem and they asked for the serial number etc. and told me that I had to send it with my own money. This is what I knew. But I didn't know this (especially the small part in bold):

Please understand that Sony's Limited Warranty does not apply if:
    ===============================================
    # No warranty card is present.

# Serial number does not match with the product.

# Original packing is not present.

# It is damaged by Misuse, Abuse, Negligence, Accident, Wear and Tear,
    Unreasonable use or by other cause unrelated to defective materials or
    workmanship.

# Failure and damage by movement, transportation, fall, and
    liquid/foreign substance etc.

# Failure and damage by the natural disaster such as unusual
    voltage / fire / earthquake.

# It is used for commercial purposes.

# It is modified, or repaired by unauthorized person.
    ===============================================

If Lik Sang upon inspection will find that the unit is damaged by any of
    the above, we will be unable to proceed in any warranty case and the
    unit will then be returned at the customers own cost

NOTE! *VERY IMPORTANT*
    Please remember to send the PSP in its original packing with the
    serial number on, and also the inside container box and all included
    accessories.
    Without this no warranty can be claimed from Sony.

Also please note that Sony reserves the right to repair any faulty
    products and if that is not possible then a replacement will be done.
    I don't know if this only applies to Lik-Sang but I find these terms unreasonable. Not the best customer service from Sony. I guess this has to do a lot with Lik-Sang not being "allowed" to sell these items? (In other words, they can't say that "Yes, this person bought this item from us." Or if they just replace the system altogether? In contrast, when I returned my Nintendo DS to be fixed to the shop where I bought it from because of a dead pixel (in the center of the top screen), all I had to bring was the unit and nothing attached.

This was really a kick in the butt though. I probably won't be importing hardware in the near future. A real wake up call. Retaining the warrantee card is just common knowledge but for some reason I can't find it but the other slips are on my desk here... Eh? It's like Murphy's law. But having to return stuff like "inside container" box is just dumb. Do they also mean the plasic it was rapped in? What about the tape that kept it closed?! Geez...

edit: Now that I look at my PSP more closely I find there's a small dent on the open switch spot. ****. I don't use a carrying pouch... I guess we can take the "P" that signifies "portable" on the PSP. This crap is too fragile for transport.

So any tips on what I should pay attention to when and if importing hardware from over seas? Looks like I just have bad luck. At least I now know to keep all packaging and contect in a safe.
    Last edited by danholo; 24-02-2006, 13:42.

I guess its a hazard with importing items. You have to accept terms and conditions that are unacceptable in the EU.

Some companies do offer a worldwide warranty on products (I know the HP Ipaq is covered by one). Sony/Nintendo and others obviously cba.

Comment

Working...
    X