ARGH! *kicks TV*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARGH! *kicks TV*

Right, I got my UK N64 PSU the other day so I could use myJap console, and, low and behold, the picture is black and white.
    I don't get it, my Cube can display a 60Hz signal but the N64 can't.

How can I sort this without buyiong a new TV or opening up the console?

Assuming your running your Cube through RGB, your TV likely accepts RGB 60Hz and PAL 60Hz fine, but not NTSC 60Hz.

I think there are converters for not too much.

Comment

generally converters are either way too expensive or they have picture quality or latency issues, if this is just like a portable telly your using here it'd be cheaper and better quality to just replace it with one that does ntsc.

Comment

a full pin decent scart lead should work

when i first got my first N64 way back when it was released my mums TV had a picture like the vertical hold was gone

bought another lead and it was black and white

bought another lead and it was in colour (wee bit fuzzy)

guess it was trial and error and in the end i bought a decent lead

Comment

Well, I've been told that I should try my GC Scart lead with it, would that work?

Comment

No, because the PAL N64 cannot output RGB, only Composite (and S-Video?), so you'll still run into the same problem (your TV being 60Hz compatible but not NTSC compatible).

Comment

Right, but this is a Jap N64, would it still be the same?

Comment

Even Japanese N64's have to be modded to output RGB.

There's not much you can do mate, your TV can't take an NTSC signal, simple as. It's either a converter or new TV.

Comment

Here is the said converter http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/product...erter-ntsc-pal

Comment

Converter only converts NTSC 60hz to PAL 60hz. So make sure your Tv can support PAL 60hz by using a Pal xbox or dreamcast.

Just sell the tv and buy a better one. You can't really be into import gaming without one.

Comment

Hmm I guess.

Well I'll try the Scart and if that doesn't work I'll have to find a way to sort it

Comment

Originally posted by Freddo
                        generally converters are either way too expensive or they have picture quality or latency issues, if this is just like a portable telly your using here it'd be cheaper and better quality to just replace it with one that does ntsc.
                        If he gets a stable (non rolling) but black and white image on the TV, then that won't be the case. You just need something to change the colour from NTSC to a PAL format. But then again - a new TV would probably be a good idea.

Standards converters that change the frame/scan rate and number of lines like you say will probably look terrible and also potentially increase lag. One of those wouldn't be necessary in this case.

Comment

Right, I'm a little confused, so this is the situation:

The N64 works fine, except there is no colour on the screen. The picture doesn't wobble or move or cast spells or anything, it's just black and white. What do I have to do?

Comment

I had exactly same trouble using a flip lid PAL PS2 with NTSC games on a certain TV at home, ended up running it through the DVD Recorder and it was back to full colour can you try running it through a video recorder or something ?

Comment

I would, but the one we have doesn't work.

T___________T

Comment

Working...
                              X