DS WiFi Dongle & AOL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DS WiFi Dongle & AOL?

Asking on behalf of a mate (I'm an eMac loser so have no clue about his PC problem):

Originally posted by MCShmee
    If you get a chance, see if anyone knows how to set up the official dongle
    on AOL.

I'm on Windows XP, service providor is AOL, firewall is provided by Norton
    2004 (updated annually to 2005).

I'm sure it's AOL causing the problem, as that's what I seem to be reading
    everywhere. SOMEONE MUST HAVE THE ANSWER!!!
    Hopefully one of you guys can help him get Mario Kart on-line

Is he just pressing "auto setup my wireless connection" on the DS? If so, he'd be better off tapping in all the manual details to guarantee it working. If not, sorry I'm not on AOL so hopefully someone else can help.

Comment

You could try creating an AOL connection in windows using the network connection wizard in windows. Then connect using that instead of the AOL dialler or whatever it is called, I know this is a way around getting internet connection sharing to work with AOL. dunno if the wifi dongle uses that or not though.

Also, make sure the firewall is turned off when trying to set it up, they cause nightmares with this kinda stuff

Comment

What EvilBoris said.

Uninstalled the dongle if it's already installed. Create a new connection for AOL using the NCW. Username is <AOL name>@aol.com and password is the normal password. Note that I believe it only likes it if your password is all in lower case btw.

Connect using this. Now install the dongle. Hopefully it should be shared with this connection and not the standard AOL one already there. It's AOL's software interferring btw that causes the issues. When you want to use the dongle, always be online with this new connection instead.

Also as mentioned, you might need to allow access through Norton for the wifi program, or reduce/change/turn off the settings in the firewall as well etc.

Yeah, not an easy thing!
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by MCShmee
          Cheers for this dude, gives me something to go on!
          Nice one guys, now if only I could get on-line to thrash him

Comment

Mayhem is a legend, he got mine to work through AOL a while back.

Here is a guide in more detailed information:

Originally posted by Mayhem

Okay dokey, here's what I did, pretty much what was already said on the forums...

1) If you haven't done so already, de-install the USB connector and the software. Also come offline if you are at that moment. Then perhaps reboot the PC just to make sure.

2) Control Panel -> Network Connections -> New Connection Wizard

3) Next -> Connect to the Internet -> Set up connection manually -> Connect using broadband that needs username/password

4) Give the connection a name (eg. AOL Broadband) and hit next.

5) Enter the user name as <your AOL screenname>@aol.com and the password you use twice. Untick both boxes at the bottom. Hit Next.

6) Your choice whether to put a shortcut on the desktop or not. Hit Finish.

7) Access the new connection you made and attempt to connect. You should be connected now, though maybe at a lower speed than you are used to (here it's 2MB/s and this comes on at 1MB/s).

Now install the USB dongle and software. It should share itself with the new connection you are on when finished.

9) Now go test it out and see if you can connect to it on the DS! In my case however my firewall was still blocking it and I had to turn it off. Once done, I was fine. Risky perhaps, but there you go. I use Kerio and there is an option to let the sharing thing go through but only on the paid version (I use the free). Zone Alarm needs to be put on Medium I believe.

10) The only consideration now is that if you get it to work, make sure you only plug in the USB dongle when you are online with the new connection so it can pick up the config and IP address properly.
            Last edited by Miguel007; 27-02-2006, 17:18.

Comment

To add to that above, with Norton you need (in 2005 at least) to add the wifi EXE to the Worm exclusion list to allow that to go through.

Comment

My mate was on-line last night - he says to give you guys major props!

Comment

Another satisfied customer

Comment

Working...
                  X