Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS2 - PAL/NTSC Video Mode question

Hi lads,

Have a question about video modes on PS2.
    If I play a PAL game on a modded PAL system and force mode (using bios software) to NTSC or PAL60 will the framrate become choppy etc?? I know it will obvously run borderless (games like Devil May Cry etc.) but will the refresh rate , image or sound be affected in any way??

Cheers
    Last edited by Escape-To-88; 28-02-2006, 22:25.
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Completely dependant on the game and how it works it's timings.

I can tell you that most PAL Square game screw up when forced into 60Hz.
    FFX the movies play out of sync and much of the speech is incorrectly timed, similar symptoms in FFX-2.
    KH actually literally speeds everything up, so all the movies play fast and in high pitch (as well as the usual timing issues with voices).
    Other games, such as Code Veronica, fair slightly better, with just some visual errors in the movies.

Forcing a video mode the game was not designed to play in is really not a good idea, for these reasons. The Force VideoMode function was really just added to help American people play PAL games.

Comment

But if I stick to NTSC games and them in colour carrier or NTSC mode all should be fine???
      What about PAL60? - same difference?

Comment

Yes. Colour-Carrier mode just displays the games as-is.

Running NTSC games in NTSC or PAL60 will be fine, it's just normal PAL games that are usually a problem.

Comment

Figured as much, thanks for the help Jake!

Comment

I tried running the horrible PAL version of Devil May Cry on my chipped PS2 with PAL60 forced and it didn't work properly at all. The screen was weirdly split with the top third or so shifted down below the rest of the screen, which obviously made it even worse to play.

Comment

Working...
            X