Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the worried PS2 component cable owners - Greenscreen "Un"fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the worried PS2 component cable owners - Greenscreen "Un"fix?

New to this place. Recently invested in a Samsung LCD (LE26R51BD) with all the new shiny inputs and bought myself some compnent cables, but I am receiving "no signal" from my PS2 via component (RGB Scart & composite connections worked fine). Been after a solution to my problem and after scouring the net, I've narrowed it down to the info below.

NOTE: All places I've been to identify the cause, but stop short of a DIY solution. Sorry for starting a new thread on this, but I'm hoping to add from your contributions and summarise everything in one neat place.

The problem
    TV is not receiving proper component signal. Screen is either blank or bad interference.

Possible Solutions
    - In PS2 menu, set Component output from RGB to "Y/Pr/Pb".
    - More recently modded PS2 (uncomfirmed) - is there a setting for disabling greenfix or force component output?

Probable cause
    Unless the above didn't work, then the modchip installations fixed the so called "Greenscreen" problem. This is done to avoid the green tint during DVD playback (when connected via RGB). Correct me if I'm wrong but with an unmodded PS2, the DVD playback is automatically forced via component signal, which comes out as green due to certain rights issues(?!). What the "fix" actually does is to disable component signal completely!
    I tried an unmodded PAL PS2, and setting component output to "Y/Pr/Pb" gives me a green screen via RGB and a lovely component picture using the right cables.

The FIX
    Places I've been to say:

- Get an unmodded PS2 from each Region
    - Get a newer chip (have not confirmed that newer chips have a feature of to override the green fix)
    - Get somebody to un-fix the fix (apparently you can keep your modchip features. You just lose greenfix)
    - Do it yourself - Here's where I need help.

I have a very old PAL PS2 (SCPH-30004 R V5/6) with a very old, no frills modchip to play imports (Possibly Messiah). Can anyone describe which bits need to be unsoldered to un-fix the green screen fix?

I understand there are different PS2 models and mainboard configurations and different chips. If people are aware of fixes for these other combinations, then maybe we can summarise them here? Thanks all!

In PS2 menu, set Component output from RGB to "Y/Pr/Pb".
    I'm not sure you're asking a question or want an answer but that should resolve all of your issues unless you have a chipped PS2. I guess the chip bios/software has the green screen fix? Can the software be flashed/modified?

I wouldn't like to unsolder a modchip

Comment

I felt I should mention, the Component on my PS2 works perfectly fine on my machine, modded with a DMS4 EZI Pro.

Can I assume newer mods use some comepletly different, better 'green screen' workaround?

Comment

I always thought the greenscreen fix was just 1 wire that was totally separate to the chip, that could be done to any PS2. I think most chip fitters did it at the same time too. If you have a very old Ps2 and chip it could be as easy as just opening your Ps2 and snipping the right wire

Comment

Commander Marklar - Don't think these old chips can be flashed. They only have very basic playback functions.

Shakey_Jake33 - Thanks for that. At least that confirms newer chips don't have a problem

EvilBoris - Interesting that it should be seperate wire. I'm going to remove the PS2 casing over the weekend and have a look - only problem is I don't know which one it would be (I'm guessing the one with the messy solder.) If anyone can clarify...

Comment

I have a Matrix MX-4 modded PStwo for imports, and it displays a Component image for games without any problems.

If I remember correctly, it does force RGB when I stick a DVD in though, but I never use it for playing DVDs anyway. I haven't tried it when disabling the chip though. (I can't even remember how I do that anyway...)

Comment

My PStwo has a DMS Lite and works through component fine.

One thing you might want to try is plugging in the PS2 through SCART or composite so that you can go into the menu and change the output to Y/Pr/Pb, and then plugging in the component cable. That was a slight annoyance with it that it won't output a usable signal over component when it's set to RGB.

Comment

Originally posted by Purpledump
                Commander Marklar - Don't think these old chips can be flashed. They only have very basic playback functions.

Shakey_Jake33 - Thanks for that. At least that confirms newer chips don't have a problem

EvilBoris - Interesting that it should be seperate wire. I'm going to remove the PS2 casing over the weekend and have a look - only problem is I don't know which one it would be (I'm guessing the one with the messy solder.) If anyone can clarify...

I've found some diagrams of the pins that are joined to fix the green screen.

obviously only of any use if your PS2 is one of those models

if you search for PS2 RGB fix diagram you can bring up other PS2 versions too
                Last edited by EvilBoris; 03-03-2006, 19:24.

Comment

sounds like you have a messiah modded ps2 with the force pal or rgb mod done. mine is the same it doesn't output component

what you need to do is open up the ps2 and look for its either a link wire or bridging two pins on an ic chip and undo them

Comment

On a (possibly) related note, my DVDs refuse to display via component on my Matrix Infinity modded PStwo, though they always displayed via RGB Scart.

The solution? Hold down START to disable the chip, then reset the PStwo. Weird.

Comment

Strange. I posted a reply yesterday morning, but it seems to have disappeared completely. Anyhow, since then...

EvilBoris- That's a fantastic link. I used that in conjunction with fatcat.co.nz to take apart my PS2, find the link wire and undo the bridge (as wod suggested). Took a while, but at least now I get GREEN SCREEN with Y/Pr/Pb via RGB. This is a good sign at least, but I can't test component signal properly until Sunday night / Monday morning when I'm back at my other place with the HD TV.

EDIT - Just wanted to mention that removing the little wire worked beautifully. Tried a few games till the wee hours last night and even normal component was miles better than scart (due to the crappy upscaling capability of my TV). Progressive was nice. Thanks. I'll update my first post eventually with some pics etc. Can't do it from work at the moment.
                      Last edited by Purpledump; 06-03-2006, 11:25.

Comment

Originally posted by gordon
                        On a (possibly) related note, my DVDs refuse to display via component on my Matrix Infinity modded PStwo, though they always displayed via RGB Scart.

The solution? Hold down START to disable the chip, then reset the PStwo. Weird.
                        There's a better way of doing that - press Triangle+Circle on powerup to get into the chip menu, then disable the greenscreen fix in there. You may also need to disable some of the other fixes, but I have the same chip in my PSTwo and component works fine for games and DVDs now.

Comment

Ta.

Comment

Originally posted by Purpledump
                            Just wanted to mention that removing the little wire worked beautifully. Tried a few games till the wee hours last night and even normal component was miles better than scart (due to the crappy upscaling capability of my TV). Progressive was nice. Thanks. I'll update my first post eventually with some pics etc. Can't do it from work at the moment.
                            Thanks for making this thread. It boosted my courage to open my PS2 which had been connected to my HDTV with s-video due to the "green fix" blocking component output.

I opened my 1st gen PAL PS2 (with a really old import-booting Messiah), scraped off the connecting solder between two points, closed the console casing and - it worked! I have to admit I was really worried doing this, but happily everything turned out ok.

Thanks once more, Purpledump!

Now to find out which games support progressive...
                            Last edited by Viktor Laszlo; 04-06-2006, 11:24.

Comment

Working...
                            X