Dvi? Vga? I Dunno!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dvi? Vga? I Dunno!!

I have the DEll 20 inch WS monitor and it has all kinds of ports!

I use it for my 360 only but to save space I was hoping I could use it for my PC too at the same time (PinP) and obsouly not at sametime without me swapping leads constantly.

I could buy a 2 VGA port thing but they are big and a waste of time.

my friend said I could buy a DVI convertor that plugs in the DVI port of my Monitor and then my pc goes into that while my 360 in the vga port, then I can just switch from each mode of what one I wanna use.

Is this true?

If so what do I exactly need, does maplins site sell them and how is it setup so I dont go blowing my 360, my monitor or my pc!

Any help is greatful!

Thanks!

Your friend is on the right track.

You get a DVI cable to hook up the monitor to your PC (wire goes from graphics card to monitor). What graphics card do you have? If your card has a DVI port on it, you can just use what I said above. If it only has a VGA slot, then you need to buy an adapter to stick at the end of the cable that goes into the PC.

You use the normal 360 VGA cable into the VGA slot, and you're done.

I assume this is your monitor:

Comment

yea tahts the one

I have a ATI 9800xt card thinkit has DVI, might have a DVI cable lying around somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by WazMeister
        yea tahts the one

I have a ATI 9800xt card thinkit has DVI, might have a DVI cable lying around somewhere.
        Oh that's cool then. Just do what I told you.

Monitor(VGA)----->360(VGA)
        Monitor(DVI)------> PC(9800xt DVI slot)

It's that simple.

Comment

What is DVI?

Never used it, is it worse quality than VGA or something?

Comment

No, it's better - DVI is a digital connection, VGA is analogue. If you connect your PC with a DVI connection to the monitor you are getting a pure digital connection. However, if you use a VGA connection first the graphics card converts from digital to analogue and then the TFT monitor converts from analogue back to digital. In reality, the difference isn't much but DVI is definitely not inferior.

John
            Last edited by JohnMcL7; 08-03-2006, 16:07.

Comment

I have one monitor (LG HD LCD) and use DVI for PC use and VGA for 360.

DVI is a digital signal and as a result an improved picture.

VGA is analogue and as a result slightly inferiour.

make as much use of the DVI input as possible.

I'd say it is likely ur PC GFX card will have VGA, s-video & DVI ouputs.

get a DVI to DVI cable and ur sorted

don't buy a VGA to DVI converter if ur PC outputs DVI.

Comment

Sorted

On my WS monitor now for PC and 360.

Picture in Picture dont work though, when i go to choose it on monitor it sauys S-vdieo and compo, the DVI and VGA are greyed out

Cant I do PinP with DVI and the vga?

Comment

Check your instruction manual, on my Samsung model the combination of inputs you can use for picture in picture is quite limited.

John

Comment

Working...
                  X