A question - swap magic and 'magic keys'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question - swap magic and 'magic keys'

Hello, LTRFTP (long time reader first time poster) here. I am just wondering if anyone here has experience of using 'swap magic' disks with their PS2? I know nothing about modding or anything but this seems like an easy affordable option. I have a slim PS2 and was looking at this device www.magickeys.net
    which it claims works for playing imports when using a swapmagic disk. So I'm wondering do they actually work and are they liable to break the console? Any info is welcomed

Swap magic works well. However it doesn't work with dual layered games eg GT4, God of War, Wild Arms Alter Code F. Although to be honest there are only a few dual layered disk games.

Comment

They can't really break your console, however I found that installing those little plastic pieces was a real chore. Maybe it's because I have big hands but it took me an hour of much frustration to get them all installed. Don't let that put you off though, once they're in it all works great. If you have the means to get your console fitted with a chip I would go for that though.

Comment

i used swap magic (and still do as even with my chipped machine i can only play psyvariar 2 using the swap method)

Does take a while to get the hang of using the plastic piece.

In the end if you play a lot of different games regulary it can be a bit tiresome swapping.

My only concern is when you use the slide key you feel a resistance so i cannot imagine you would be doing the ps2 any good.Though you can get a flip top cover (dont know if there is one for the slim line though)

Comment

ty for the info. I have since purchased a swap magic disk and the magickey things which block the lid sensors. However the disk I have is swapmagic 3.3 and not 3.6 Would that still work with imports? US version of kingdom hearts 2 to be specific.

Comment

There's a list of working /non-working games for SM 3.3 & 3.6 here:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/176791

Looks like the only diff between v3.3 & 3.6 is USB support in 3.6. Kingdom Hearts 2 seems to work fine too btw

Comment

Anyone got clear instructions on how to boot games? Finally tried this last night and I get a "not a valid PS2 disc" message all the time.

Also, I get a "insert larger TOC disc"

Any ideas?

Comment

It's really just a case of booting up the Swap Magic disc ('cd' disc for cd based games & 'dvd' for dvd games) & when you're prompted to insert the disc you want to play insert it & close the lid & choose 'normal boot'.

I think the message you're getting means that your PS2's detecting that either the disc tray has been opened or eject mechanism has been triggered. Might be worth double checking that the slim/ slide tools are fitted ok.

I used to get this message with my slim PS2 if I even slightly nudged the disc lid when swapping discs (the tool prevents the lid from opening fully but even minor pressure will open it further & the PS2 will detect the lids been opened). In the end I ended up opening up my PS2 and just taping down the pressure switch that is triggered when you open the lid.

Comment

I got it sorted, I was just using blu-tack and forgot to put a bit on the trigger at the right corner.

CHeers anyway

Comment

Working...
                  X