Windows Vista (Build Revision 5342)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Vista (Build Revision 5342)

Like myself, Im sure there are people here who are currently trying out Vista in one of its various guises. Practically, theres no reason to ditch XP for any Vista release as yet, but if like me you are curious as to the developments of Vista prior to its release then hopefully you will join in discussion about it here.

Ive spent some time during the weekend with the new 64-bit build of Vista, Beta 2 build 5308 and am thoroughly impressed by what Ive seen so far. Its meant to be a 'feature full' release, meaning everything that is meant to be in there is in the build, and its a case of bug-checking and fault-finding from now on.

Ive installed it to a seperate harddrive, D partition, and have no problems with it so far in as much as Im able to access standard XP with no difficulty at all, concerns I had about it affecting my existing OS were thankfully unrealised. Notably, and presumeably because of the HDD seperation, I cant boot to Vista without the DVD in the drive first, whilst XP itself doesnt even recognize Vista is installed at all by default. Id assume were you to install to the C drive, then a dual boot option without DVD-Rom would be present.

I joined my existing Windows 2003 Domain without any real trouble, and one thing I noticed was that my bluetooth keyboard and mouse was detected and useable at the very first stages of installation which was pretty impressive.

Visually it looks lovely, nicely designed transparant windows make for an attractive GUI, small effects like the glowing redness of the 'close window' X button give it a smart look. Im not convinced by the round startbar button yet though.

Other things like the preview panes that appear when you hover over a tab in the taskbar, and the various methods of cascading windows, and the 3d effect of task manager (optional) are all here.

I couldnt see how to access the sidebar in my version, but will look at this further as like the 3d task manager, I had to run a program to be able to access it.

In terms of performance, Im running a A64 3500 with 2GB of ram, and apart from a few curous periods where nothing seemed to be happening although I still had input response, its not too bad. Obvioulsly its unoptimized, but is perfectly workable in its current guise as a basic OS, and windows open and close. menus appear etc with most of the usual zip you would expect. The only driver which hasnt installed is for my soundcard.

Access to a working windows update (its not the same as the standard one) wasnt possible for me last night, clearly it may not exist at this moment, whilst Windows Defender also refused to update.
    Last edited by marcus; 02-04-2006, 21:28.

Are you running an offical Beta program? You mentioned trying windows update, so I assume it's not a yarr.

How was it for the video drivers?

Have you installed any applications? Games?

Does it have a normal command prompt?

Does it have inbuilt AV software?

Does I.E 7 have tabbed browsing?

Lots of questions!

Comment

Video drivers - Ill get back to you on this, its not running VGA so Id assume its a Vista variant of my Radeon card, I dont know versions etc till Im in front of the screen.

Not installed any apps or games, I doubt Ill bother as Im just wanting to familarise myself with the OS itself.

Command prompt is still there, annoyingly you have to add the RUN command to the start menu, like you do with admin tools. On that, each time you want to open something which is of consequence to the system itself (Ie device manager) you have to "Allow" the program to run. Id presume this can be disabled, but its designed to prevent the average user screwing the system up inadvertantly.

AV - no, not so far as I know

IE7 has tabbed browsing, its actually quite nice now, theres also a helpful tab beside the main viewable page where you can click on it to open a new tab (as opposed to using a menu option or shortcut key). A lot of emphasis is put on security here, and I had trouble disabling "windows protection mode" in mine. A Phishing filter is now in place also, but I find the notifications and warnings a annoyance at times. Its a nice move towards Firefox in terms of useability and quality.

Comment

Marcus how would someone go about getting a copy to try it out for themselves.

Comment

exactly what I was thinking, see version 5342 is available from alternative sources, did you sign up ages ago to be a beta tester Marcus ??

Oh and it's looking mighty fine

Comment

Still no KDE in gui terms
            Last edited by gingerj; 27-03-2006, 14:17.

Comment

Its pretty nice though, Im sure you will (would) agree ginger.

Details on betatesting are here - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.aspx - I got the software via work, but arent a 'official tester' myself. As Dave said, there are some versions available from alternate sources, which I hope noone mentions here.

Dave do you know the revisions in 5342 at all, over 5308?

Comment

yeah it is a lot prettier than the hideous xp style

Comment

Marcus (and indeed anyone else) - the Latest Radeon drivers for Vista might be useful.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to give it a go yet or not; I'll probably hold off until the final release before I upgrade my XP box, as I don't really have the space to dual boot right now.

Comment

The Upgrade option wasnt an option (if that makes sense) in my version. If you was to add a second HDD then I dont see there being problems, theres no way anyways Id upgrade a perfectly fine working XP for anything thats not a final release at least.

Space is an issue also - the install requires a whopping 11GB! No doubt that will be reduced somewhat for the final.

Cheers Mid

Comment

Originally posted by gingerj
                      Still no KDE in gui terms

Comment

Thought Id post some pics of Vista, and Office 2007 which is currently in Beta build, and so far, is very, very nice. Im impressed, cant wait for the final releases.

Comment

Next batch of pics

Comment

Can you take some pics of the '3D mode'? Or isn't that in the current build yet?

Comment

Not keen on the theme - it looks an average one of the 9,999 amateur Windows XP efforts.

Oh and lol @ KDE.

Comment

Working...
                              X