No Bass from Sub Xbox 360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Bass from Sub Xbox 360

Well that's not an entirely true title, I've finally managed to get my 5.1 surround sound set up (through crappy speakers but it'll get upgraded over time) and I dont get any bass from either in game or custom music and need for speed for some reason (although I do in the fmvs), however sound effects such as FMVs, grenades in CoD2 and engines in Project Gotham contain bass.

I'm just wondering if it's just me or if others suffer the same thing as it worked fine when using the red and white phono leads through the same speakers.

Also if I take the center cable from my decoder out I get bass but then obviously I'm missing center, although it still does sound through the center which could be a solution but then I'm losing part of surround sound.
    Last edited by Myth; 31-03-2006, 16:47.

How are you connecting your 360 to your amp? Via Optical Out?

Comment

I have connected through my decoder via optical.

Also if I take the center cable from my decoder out I get bass but then obviously I'm missing center, although it still does sound through the center which could be a solution but then I'm losing part of surround sound.
      Last edited by Myth; 31-03-2006, 16:50.

Comment

Gonna be a stupid question but you have enabled Dolby Digital in the 360 settings right?

If so then the problem lies with your amp's settings somewhere. My Sony Amp uses VIDEO 2 for both optical and Phono's and sometimes freaks out when i've got my PC running via phono and the 360 on at the same time. (Usually involves unplugging one)

Lemme know, Im curious
        Jay

Comment

Yeah I've enabled dobly digital and at the moment the optical cable is the only input I have in it. I read something someone posted on amazon saying:

It doesn't do bass redirection. This is where the system takes some of the bass bound for the satellite speakers (which generally don't do bass very well) and send it to the subwoofer (which obviously handles bass nicely). This is essential if you're trying media which doesn't use the .1 channel on a 5.1 system. Otherwise, the subwoofer will be silent for everything but explosions. Not great for music listening.

There's a reason for (3): conveniently all Creative's surround sound speaker systems do bass redirection in the amplifier, so if you pair this with one of those packages, it actually works out okay. Cunning, eh? If that floats your boat, Creative do such packages (available on Amazon). Or you might already have Creative speakers. If not, you may want to steer clear.
          I'm guessing that could be my problem, I guess if I pull out the center cable from my Sub I wont be losing too much as it still seems to function between left and right but I cant be sure.

Comment

Thats strange though because all 360 games are true 5.1. My amp autoswitches between settings and definatly recognises the 360 as 5.1. If the 360 was outputting anything else it'd send my amp into Prologic 2.

I'd tinker with your amp's settings and see if there's a way you can "force" 5.1.

Comment

I'll have a bit more of a play around now and see what happens, I only got it today.

It does show that the optical is delivering Dolby Digital though and I have it set to 5.1 on the switch at the back.

Edit - I can't seem to make it work, I had a go at just switching the front and center/sub around but then it obviously doesn't output the sound in the right place, although I do get activity from the sub.
              Last edited by Myth; 31-03-2006, 17:24.

Comment

I'm guessing here you've got the DDTS-100?

There's a switch at the back of it for Speaker Arrangement, This is set to 5.1 right?

http://media.gear.ign.com/media/620/...g_1907055.html

Comment

I do have the DDTS-100 and yeah it's set to 5.1.

Comment

Ah, just noticed another comment about it....

conveniently all Creative's surround sound speaker systems do bass redirection in the amplifier, so if you pair this with one of those packages, it actually works out okay. Cunning, eh? If that floats your boat, Creative do such packages (available on Amazon). Or you might already have Creative speakers. If not, you may want to steer clear.
                    Gutted

Comment

Bah looks like some Creative speakers it is then, unless anyone can reccomend a cheap decoder which will work for me.
                      Last edited by Myth; 31-03-2006, 17:41.

Comment

Just wondering if not having the center plugged in would ruin the whole 5.1 experience, I seem to be able to adjust it's volume on the sub and it doesn't sound bad to me, also that way I'll get my bass and not have to fork out more money. (I only play in my bedroom in a fairly small area).
                        Last edited by Myth; 31-03-2006, 17:57.

Comment

Depends on if the decoder realises and splits the Signal for the Centre Elsewhere. Guarenteed way of trying it is the Battlefield 2 Demo.

The announcer only comes through the centre speaker via 5.1. I've just booted it and turned down my centre speaker completely and now can't even hear him in the slightest.

If you hear him with ur decoder set up this way then i'd keep it like this and save your money dude

Comment

Will try now, cheers for all the help though mate.

Greatly appreciated.

Edit - I can hear the 'we've taken flag 2 etc, the enemy has taken flag 3 etc.'

Is that what you meant?

Just been playing it a bit more and whenever there's a tank or helicopter directly infront of me it goes a lot quiter than when I have the center plugged in so I guess it's a little dodgey but it seems to be sort of working if that was what you meant by the announcer, if not i may not have heard him.
                            Last edited by Myth; 31-03-2006, 18:47.

Comment

I've just worked out a sort of little solution which could be working, I have the center plugged in half way which seems to give me bass and let the center carry on working, I dont know if anyone can comment if this should be working properly but if I pull it out I hear no dialogue in Oblivion, however with it plugged in halfway everything seems fine.

Just unplugged all 3 halfway and now I seem to be getting perfect bass including music 8)
                              Last edited by Myth; 01-04-2006, 18:09.

Comment

Working...
                              X