Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with Windows - Not loading up, help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Windows - Not loading up, help needed!

Hello. Theres a problem with our main computer. Once turned on it loads dos then says there is a problem with windows. It gives the option to open in safe mode, safe with networking and safe mode with something else.

It also gives another option. Sorry if this is vague, trying to remember from memory.

Regardless of the option selected it says there is an error with one of the paritions and then turns off and tries to reload again, doing the same as a fore mentioned.

What do I do?

Is Windows totally messed up and have all the files on the HD been lost?

How Easy would it be to take out the HD and put it in this PC and back up the files that way?

Thanks in advance!!!

First of all what version of windows is it you're using?

Comment

I have this happen so many times with XP. It's terrible for reliability (even my old computer's '95 is better).

You have a few options if you can't get beyond the safe configuration DOS list. One, use your XP install disc to try and repair the OS (the first option is via a command list, the second option - which you have to continue to the install option list is to basically reinstall the corrupt settings). Alternatively, if neither of these work, reinstall XP on the same partition - you should have access to all your old documents and files. If you reinstall XP formatting the current partition or on a separate one you'll be starting afresh.

Usually, it's the last option for me out of those I've mentioned (as when it starts looping in DOS, generally XP is a bitch to get back to)... whereby I then save off important files externally and conduct a format and a fresh single install.

Comment

XP's great for reliability, If you're having similar problems constatly Concept then i'd look into it a bit more. Generally speaking it's usually down to dodgy ram believe it or not. XP's so reliant on it that quite often it's hard to distingush. (download memtest86 and create a bootable .iso and check ur Ram Concept)

Anyway back to the matter at hand. If you are running windows xp (You're first post didn't really point towards it seeing as XP doesn't use any form of DOS to boot and doesn't even use MS-DOS). Command prompt when windows is booted isn't MS-DOS.

If you are using XP then boot up your computer using your installation disc, on the first screen that comes up choose to use the recovery console. It'l plonk you into a command line.

Type

fixmbr \ Device \ HardDisk0

What this will do is look at your harddrives Master Boot record and correct it if need be.

Secondly after this has finished type

fixboot

then type exit to restart your computer.

Job should be done

Comment

jeimuzu you've gotta be kidding man! reread the starting post and check again whether he should be faffing about with fixmbr

MJR_UK, by all means try what jeimuzu mentions as it's the quickest way to try and fix things, but if you're worried then do what concept said - put your windows cd in (first let us know if your windows cd is a recovery disc or a proper windows cd - this is important!) and let it boot to the blue screen. give it a few minutes to load all these bits and bobs and then you are asked how to proceed.

press enter or something, and then there's a screen with a license on that you have to press F8 to skip. once you've done that, it'll search for any windows installations (bottom part of the screen, grey stripe, will say "Searching for previous versions of Windows") on your pc. if it finds it, it will say "C:\windows" or something like that and ask if you want to repair it.

if you are asked to press Enter to repair, then you're on the right track. It will have a bar that fills up yellow and takes around 5 mins or so. then it'll reboot the pc and look like it's installing fresh but it'll actually just repair your dodgy install and keep all your files/settings intact.

if nothing at all is mentioned about repairing, then be careful as it'll go on to discuss installing a fresh windows.

if you don't mind about settings and simply want to get back at your documents and whatnot, then you can just carry on and simply keep pressing enter when asked. when you get a screen talking about formatting as FAT32 or NTFS, choose the option 'Leave file system intact' which won't format away all your por-i mean documents.

bear in mind that if you do this, your old documents will be in a different folder, inside 'Documents and Settings' there'll be a folder with your old login name. inside that folder will be your old 'my documents' folder.

i agree with jeimuzu about xp (and not just cos he's bought my psone ), as i've never had any problems like this, that have screwed up my installation to the point of forcing a reinstall. i do reinstall periodically, though, but only around every 6-8 months or so, as i install a lot of stuff and haven't had much fun with dual-booting (i can do it, it's just annoying and usually ends up with one installation winning and becoming the regular one!)
          Last edited by randombs; 03-04-2006, 22:54.

Comment

No I ain't kidding,

Doing a check on the MBR isn't majorly necessary but like with any IT related problem it's better to work from the ground up.

The methods that both yourself and concept say will invitably work, but they're not always necessary. If his HDD is on it's way out or the MBR or file allocation table have become corrupt then doing FIXMBR and FIXBOOT will sort it.

Personally if I was working on it i'd also run CHKDSK /P in recovery console too. (MJR - Do this)

I know your method will work, but it's not necessary to do a re-install over the existing installation when chances are, it's a simple partition problem from a failing HDD. (Hence why he's getting a partition error and a cold re-boot rather than asking for a manual one)

Oh btw, Sent ur payment today
            Last edited by Jei; 03-04-2006, 23:27.

Comment

no i was talking more about sending the uninitiated into the recovery console empty-handed :P

i did it once and it was ugly, like the scene in platoon where they shoot up willem defoe

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq
                no i was talking more about sending the uninitiated into the recovery console empty-handed :P

i did it once and it was ugly, like the scene in platoon where they shoot up willem defoe

Comment

Working...
                X