Xbox linux kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox linux kit?

Ive found out that I can buy linux kits on memory cards. With this installed would I be able to play games from any region with an un-modded machine?

Could someone explain what this does?

Thanks.

As I understand, the linux exploits are just ways to get a buffer overflow going on your xbox so you can launch code that you shouldnt be - e.g, a TSOP flasher, to flash your original XBOX bios with an illegal one.

If you want to keep an unmodded xbox (if you modded it this way, theres no xbox live) then this is of no use to you. If you have soldered before, its worth picking up an xecuter2 modchip and installing it. Your xbox becomes 300 times more useful. I **** you not!

Also, in my experience you can't boot games from xbox linux anyway, you need some kind of dashboard, Xbox Media Center being my personal fave

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I just got a reply from the seller on ebay and they say it will boot games from any region and copies.

How would I go about getting a 'dashboard'?

Comment

When I soft modded mine the software installer also gave me the option to add a dashboard (EvoX & UnleashX).

Otherwise a Slayer's disc would allow you to install one.

Comment

^hopefully what he said!

#xbins on efnet, or your favourite torrent site. Search for XBMC;

I presume this is the item in question (or at least, very like it)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/xbox-linux-con...QQcmdZViewItem

then its basically a mech commander disk, and a memory card with a save game exploit on it. I haven't personally used this method, so maybe the memory card will have some apps ready for pre-loading on it. Who knows!

You'dh load up the game, load this dodgy save file, and it will cause your xbox to buffer overflow, where the exploit will then let you flash the bios.

After that is done, your system will be able to boot anything, yes, but there is so much more to modding an xbox!

If there was no extra software on the memory card, you'd might need to get yourself some kind of bootdisk (typing evox into a search engine on a "questionable" website will give you what you need), which will load up, and let you install a custom dashboard to your xbox. Once you have one of these on, you will have FTP access to your xbox to do whatever you want. This is where the fun begins.

I personally use XBMC as my dash, as it lets me stream movies/tv/music I have on my PC, straight to the xbox, and manages all the crap on it with no problems. It truely is awesome!

If you need any help, just drop me a PM and I will happily give you a hand

(big post.. tendency to ramble on.....)
          Last edited by supersmithy; 07-04-2006, 17:05.

Comment

Cheers supersmithy.

The link in your post is the sort of thing I was looking at. Here is another one with a bit more detail click

All I want to do is play games from all regions without modding really.

Comment

Working...
            X