Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gamecube questions

My Panasonic Q is starting to show it's age and the laser is fading
    Takes several tries to load a game. Not good.

Sooooo, few questions.
    -Will the modded Q RGB lead that NTSC's Saurian made work on a modded Cube?
    -How much should I expect to pay for a NTSC Cube that's switched for JPN and US games?
    -Power wise, a Q is more powerful than a Cube, aye? So a Q stepdown should be suitable for a standard NTSC Cube?

No. You'll need the one end changing, not hard to do.
    ?40 to ?45. on ebay.
    Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmie2k
      No. You'll need the one end changing, not hard to do.
      jimmie2k - is that because with the Q you just plug 2 phono type connectors into the console for audio?

If that's right & bowser123 didn't want to adapt his lead could he just leave the phono lead unplugged and use a standard GC AV composite lead plugged into the AV IN instead for sound? Hope this makes sense!

bowser123 - if you want to do away with a step-down completely you could always replace the switched Cube's psu with one from a UK Cube and run the console straight off the mains

Comment

Originally posted by tom-nook

bowser123 - if you want to do away with a step-down completely you could always replace the switched Cube's psu with one from a UK Cube and run the console straight off the mains

^That is what I do, much easier.

As for the cable, that might work, I don't know, I had to get my lead modded again when I upgraded to a Q, however when effectively downgrading, I can't be sure.

Not much help really am I. lol.

Comment

There's 3 AV leads with the cube, red and white audio, and a last yellow picture one.
          I was under the impression the yellow lead was only used when the Q was playing a DVD. I've just tried it with that yellow lead unplugged, and got no picture at all in Gamecube mode
          That to be expected?

I won't be taking the cable apart, so Nooks suggestion is ideal really. If it works, great. If not, I've not lost out.

Re: the transformer issue, again it'd be much neater to have a UK PSU, but I won't actively seek one out already owning a stepdown.

Thanks though.

Comment

The Q modded RGB lead is different to the Cube one afaik.

Comment

bowser 123 - I've never been lucky enough to own a Q but believe that you only need to use the yellow phono lead for dvd playback as you say (so no need to have it plugged in for games).

I came across this post from a while back and there's a bit of info about modded Gamecube rgb leads added by Saurian (the expert in these matters):

http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread...ight=panasonic

Other than the audio connection (Nintendo AV connection for a Cube & phono leads for a Q) it seems the modded rgb leads for both are identical so you should be getting a picture

Charles any chance of recreating the 'FAO Andy' Batman banner putting out a call for help to Saur???
              Last edited by tom-nook; 27-04-2006, 19:00.

Comment

Ill try mine tonight when i get home,as i have the same lead. Pretty sure you do need the yellow in though,some sort of vertical hold?

Comment

I've just tried it again without the yellow lead and it definitely doesn't give a picture.
                  The TV recognizes something is on as it auto-changes to a different screen (like with any RGB scart item), but only a black screen.

Thanks for that link Nook, most handy. I did do a search myself but didn't find that post

Thankfully the Q is acting a little better and loading most games on the second or third go, but the one I really wanted to play again takes ages. Once it's up and loaded there's no issues, it's just that initial load. Strangely US games are worst for this, JPN ones usually fine and no issue at all with DVD's.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Pavey
                    Ill try mine tonight when i get home,as i have the same lead. Pretty sure you do need the yellow in though,some sort of vertical hold?
                    This is correct

Comment

You can definately use a Q rgb lead with a normal cube , get three female to female connectors and hook a normal cube lead to it and it will work.

Used it myself loads of times.

bri
                      Last edited by Guest; 28-04-2006, 13:50.

Comment

Working...
                      X