DS WiFi and work question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DS WiFi and work question

I'm a total N00b when it comes to connecting a DS over a wireless network, so any help by those in the know would be appreciated.

I've just stumbled over the fact that my workplace has installed a WiFi network and not told anyone. Better yet it's operated by The Cloud which from my understanding means it's a partnered hotspot and I should be able to play my DS over the connection for free.

So far so good but here's the catch - the IT department where I work are a bunch of hypocritical sods when it comes to Internet use (which means that you are allowed to use the Internet, except for when you actually want to use the Internet). Usually everything is blocked by Surf Control (including this site and a host of others).

So would it be possible for them to put limitations on DS usage if it's being used via a partnered hotspot? In other words is there anything to stop my workplace from denying me access to the web via my DS? ie:- if I was using the upcoming web browser for example.

I know that's a bit hypothetical at the moment as the browsers not released, but the same question also applies to playing games over the network.

Yes quite easily - the DS needs certain ports open on the firewall. The DS uses ports 80 (HTTP), 443 (HTTPS), 27900-27901, 28910, and 29900-29901, as well as a few others to connect to Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection and it's unlikely all of these are open.

The web browser perhaps will only use port 80 (if and when it's released), but I'd of thought the requests will still go through your proxy and so will have the same restrictions.

Plus before any of that - you'll need to authenticate your connection to the wifi network. Even the cloud at the British Library isn't free.

Comment

Cheers Marty.

As it's listed as a public access point and the The Cloud were allowing Nintendo DS users free access to the network, I'd hoped that they wouldn't really be able to restrict it's usage for that purpose.

Hmm... back to the drawing board for overthrowing my evil IT overlords then

Comment

Working...
      X