Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dreamcast not displaying composite pic...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreamcast not displaying composite pic...

OK here's the deal. My little TV (14") is one of those types that, when you use RGB, you can't watch normal TV channels (RGB pic is displayed and rolling, instead).

So I use my consoles in composite mode which works just fine. Problem is, I haven't got an AV cable for my Dreamcast - I use one of those Spider RGB Scarts to hook it up.

I hacked a fully-wired scart splitter (not switch box) to include a switch that cuts pin 16 and hence disables RGB mode. It works just fine with my XBox, PS1 and PS2 - each works in either RGB or forced-composite.

With the Dreamcast in forced composite, I get a super dark gret picture. It's not the type where you can simply turn up the brightness - it's something different.

Does the DC know when the RGB pins are connected and so is this causing a problem (as the RGB lines are still connected when the switch is off, just pin 16 isn't so the TV isn't going into RGB mode)?

I'm wondering what the problem is. My DC is Japanese, chipped and has the pal50/60 mod.

Reason I want to sort this out is I really want to play Pop'n Music on it and it doesn't play in RGB

Please don't reply telling me to buy an AV cable. I'm sorting that out right now but in spite of that my curiosity won't let this lie - I *need* to at least try and find out what's causing this!

:EDIT: pop'n music works just fine via RF whereas last time i tried it the pic was super-fuzzy and it looked nasty. turns out the RF unit just needed a squeeze! still wanna know wtf though!
    Last edited by randombs; 03-05-2006, 17:57.

When you connect an RGB cable to the DC, it switches to outputting composite sync rather than composite video on that particular line. I think the only solution is an AV cable.

Comment

thanks man i thought it was something funky like that - would explain why the pic is stable and clear but just really really dark...

Comment

Working...
      X