Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swap Magic and PS2 Laser question.

Hi,
    Just sorted myself out with a Us Slimline PS2 and swap magic.
    Just wondered if anyone knew if using Swap Magic to play any 'non-official' games can damage the slimline laser?? I've heard of a subzero laser fix for the slimline but did not know if this applied when using Swap Magic as have also been told Swap Magic reduces laser stress??
    Just wondered if anyone had an answer??
    Cheers
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

I dont have the answer for you, but I have had alot of problems with my Slimline laser in my PAL slimline since buying the Swap magics. I've had 2 warranty replacements from sony in the meantime as they extended my warranty.

I also have an American slim machine, and personally I wouldnt risk using a Swap on my American one as the warranty issues are different and getting the parts for a replacement may or may not cost more. Its just a risk I didnt want to take knowing what the Swap magics did to my year old Pal slimline.

The warranty became void because the last sony replacement was a later model. Which had a piece of metal to stop the use of Swap magic tools, but the Laser broke down again anyway. This time I realised sony would be a bit dubious, so I sent it away to be fixed and was told that Sony made the resistance in the Slimlines alot weaker for one reason or another. It sounds like what you were referring to.

The place where I sent it replaced the and strengthened the laser when they fixed it this time. The poople at this place also told me about the slimlines being weaker than the old ones. I didnt have one problem with my older chunky console, but this strengthening of the laser's resistance has helped and I havent had a problem with it since I got it back.(touch wood)

The swap magic does put too much extra wear on it, and this resistance means that problems can occur. I know this doesnt aswer your question but I thought sharing my experinences may help as I as I have had alot of trouble with my laser since using Swaps on it and it sounds similar to what you mentioned. I was just very wary about using it on the American Pstwo as the issues are different.

you may not have any trouble at all, but it all seemed to make sense and Sony's last warranty replacement had the piece of metal to stop the tools being fitted without voiding the warranty, so this is why I had to have it fixed. It was all a bit of a farce, but the console does seem better now(touch wood again). In my mind its so the people who sell you these Swaps can also sell you a Hardrive to counteract the extra laser wear.
    Last edited by AdamJW; 05-05-2006, 11:23.

Comment

Cheers for the explanation mate. Can anyone else confirm that Swapmagic can damage laser lens??

Comment

I know that slimlines have been funny about their lasers after any kind of modification. The older ones at least. When I got mine chipped it needed something fitted to stop the chip burning the laser out.

Comment

Cheers found a guy who'll fir the subzero fix for ?15.00 so think i'll do that just to be safe.
          cheers all.

Comment

If you have a V13 or V14 Pstwo you DON'T need any form of laser fix. Only the V12's needed it and even then there's only around an 80% chance of them being effective

Post your model number on here , SCPH - ??????? and i'l tell you what version you've got and if it's recommended.

The Swap Magic discs won't do anything to your laser at all, using good quality DVD-R media will be ok, using cheap ****ty media will take your laser down.

Comment

Hmm..I've heard that the 75000 series is ok. But mine is a 70011 accoriding to the box. I'm told the best way to check is open and look at the motherboard but have'nt got round to that yet. So I presume I need a fix with the 7011???
              I'm using Verbatim media which I'm old is pretty decent. What media would you recommend Jeimuzu???

EDIT: When you say 80% effective do you mean theres only an 80% chance of it working or are you saying there's an 80% chance the laser is good without the need for a mod?
              Last edited by Escape-To-88; 05-05-2006, 18:37.

Comment

There's no point in opening it up to look at the motherboard, The version of the machine is on the sticker underneath, opening it up will just invalidate your warrenty anyway.

With USA Machines you're looking at the following for the version numbers.....

V12 = SCPH-70011
                V13 = SCPH-70001
                V14 = SCPH-75001

The V12's problems are hightened when modded, hence the need of the fix, if you're just using swap magic then personally I wouldn't bother. Keep it like it is.

As for dvdrs i'd recommend these
                http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=1069

EDIT : I mean 80% effective of the fix actually working. A signal is sent to a certain part of the laser which causes the problem, when it's sent, it fries the components....the fix is there to catch it.

I read up EXTENSIVELY before I modded my pstwo with a DMS4 (V12 btw) I've sold it on since but in the time I had it had 0 problems whatsover
                Last edited by Jei; 05-05-2006, 18:48.

Comment

Working...
                X