DVD region X and a modded PS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD region X and a modded PS2

This is probably a stupid question, but will a UK DVD region X work on a modded JPN PS2?

Thanks in advance.

Won't work I'm afraid - assuming it's a Messiah 1 or 2

You need a JPN region X. This is because you need to boot the PS2 in DVD mode, and once you are in DVD mode, you can only play native JPN software - PAL/US software won't work. Give it a try in DVD mode and test which region games will boot.

Comment

Cheers Tak. I havent bought it yet and probably wont if I have to go to the trouble of getting a Japanese one, I will just use my DVD player in my bedroom.

Comment

Also forgot to mention that NTSC PS2s can't run PAL movies, even with the correct Region X

So if you did get one it would only be useful for stuff like Region 1 NTSC discs, because the buffer in the dvd decoder is not big enough to handle PAL.

Bit of a bugger, really

Comment

Thanks for that. There is no point to get it at all then. Thanks for saving me a few quid.

Comment

Originally posted by Tak
            Also forgot to mention that NTSC PS2s can't run PAL movies, even with the correct Region X

So if you did get one it would only be useful for stuff like Region 1 NTSC discs, because the buffer in the dvd decoder is not big enough to handle PAL.

Bit of a bugger, really
            Absolutely right, that's why I tell people that for once, in the case of modded PS2s at least, PAL is for once better that NTSC. A friend who has just got back from Hong Kong told me the market at LaneWorld is full of 'import' PAL PS2s... a modded PAL machine will play everything, games or films, in their native video mode - god bless RGB.

Comment

Cookie mate, youre talking about the Aqua Blue ps2 right? Region X will work on that machine Will will also tell you - that one I sold you has a PAL motherboard which was modded inside, so you'll be able to play all region dvds on it

Comment

Originally posted by ThoseOfTheUnlight
                Cookie mate, youre talking about the Aqua Blue ps2 right? Region X will work on that machine Will will also tell you - that one I sold you has a PAL motherboard which was modded inside, so you'll be able to play all region dvds on it
                Oh excellent. I didnt realise I just assumed it was a JPN motherboard. All is not lost then

Comment

Working...
                X