V1.5 Firmware PSPs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V1.5 Firmware PSPs

I'm just wondering whether v1.5 firmware PSPs are still in demand, or whether ones purchased from the shops these days can run homebrew?

Originally posted by ObieT
    I'm just wondering whether v1.5 firmware PSPs are still in demand, or whether ones purchased from the shops these days can run homebrew?
    i believe - may be wrong

the ones in the uk stores are still reversable as long as they have v1.52 or v2.0 firmware on them

but they will probably have v2.5 and above

v1.5 arnt that in demand anymore to be honest - just sold mine for ?130 shipped

Comment

Homebrew can be done on 2.5 and 2.6 using a GTA save trick, naturally you will need GTA but that's all. It's ages since i sold my psp so not kept up with the homebrew scene, not sure if it can be done without GTA these days.

Comment

The problem with the GTA exploit is that it can't go into Kernal mode, limiting it a little making some homebrew (snes emu for example) slower than it would be on a 1.5/1.0.

Comment

Indeed, while you can run some homebrew on 2.5 and 2.6 to an extent, it much more limited than a 1.5 which can run anything as-is, so a 1.5 is much more desirable.

Basically, 1.5 or 2.0 is most desirable, as 2.0 can be 'downgraded' to 1.5.

Comment

I haven't bought a psp game in an age, but it looks like there's some actually quite good stuff out/coming out these days. What's the dealio with running newer games on 1.5 machines? (legit umds, obviously) Are you still forced to upgrade the firmware or are there ways around it?
            Last edited by unknown_citizen; 16-05-2006, 05:41.

Comment

It's a bit tricky.

Some 2.0-only games can simply be ran on a 1.5 using a loader such as Fastloader, or one of the many PSP Shell applications like Artilery Shell.
              An example of this is the UK release of Tales of Eternia.

Some 2.0 only games use modules which are specific to the 2.0 firmware version. GTA was the first of these, with many new titles since.
              Todays Shell applications etc can sorta run these games on a 1.5, with varying degrees of success. GTA works fine, a few others do to, a lot do not.

There are also 2.6-only games, which I don't think can be run yet.

There's no real ideal solution here. I use homebrew too much to justify updating firmware, but it means relying on a 'fix' to run many new games.

If you want to run new titles, yet want some homebrew too, Get a 2.6 PSP and a copy of GTA. With this, you can use an exploit in GTA to boot many popular (but not all) homebrew applications, yet still be able to play games which require 2.6 firmware. A nice happy medium. But 1.5 is the best firmware for homebrew.

Comment

Hmm. Sounds a bit of a mess, think I'll reassess situation once loco roco gets released.

Comment

What version is the UK market White PSP thats just come out?
                  If it's 2.6v can it been downgraded, as i'm after a 2nd PSP for emus.

Comment

The UK white psps are 2.5 and 2.7...A few Jap ones however are 2.0 so might be worth looking in that direction.

If you want the best of both worlds, Buy a 1.5 psp, then go out an buy a base unit (cheaper than the value pack) psp too for the newer stuff.

Comment

I've already got a Jap White 2.6v PSP and am looking for a 2nd PSP just for emus.
                      So i take it that 2.5 and 2.7 can't be downgraded at all then???

I don't want to pay ?150 plus for a 2nd hand psp when the cheapest pack new is ?150. I have a 1gig memcard etc so wouldn't need a big bundle of stuff with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X