Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PS2 + VGA adapter + LCD screen... help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS2 + VGA adapter + LCD screen... help please!

I'm currently toying with the idea of buying a vga box and a lcd computer screen to play my games (mainly shooters) in TATE mode. The problem is, I don't know much about VGA boxes. Can you guys give me some information / point me to good faqs / tell what equipment to use and why?

In fact, my main concerns are :

(1.) what image quality can I expect, especially considering the fact that my ps2 outputs at standard TV resolution (480*640?) while current lcd screen resolutions are much higher? How is this upscaling handled?
    (2.) What about NTSC/PAL? I'd like to use the same box for both, but most of the time I'll be playing NTSC games (currently through Scart...)
    (3.) Also : what kind of input do VGA boxes accept? I have seen some with composite, others with SVideo, but none with RGB scart. Am I missing something here?
    (4.) Is there "kit" out there that is considered significantly better (or offers better value for money) than the rest?

Thanks!

The XRGB2 is supposed to be really good as far as upscan converters go. I'm not an expert on the PS2's video output, but I seem to recall that it can be coaxed into providing a more appropriate output for a VGA monitor somehow, with the addition of a Gamecube-style customised component cable maybe?

Comment

The XRGB2 or XRGB3 is really your best bet. Don't be tempted by those cheaper ones.

Comment

First of all : thanks for the replies.

Micomsoft's XRGB-2 certainly looks the part. As for the price... hm.

Is the image quality high enough to warrant the extra cost? Also : is it suitable for all computer monitors? I'm looking for a TFT at the moment. Will/would I be OK?

Comment

I tried lots of ways of trying to get a decent picture from my consoles using lots of different cables and cheap VGA boxes.

Finally I went for an upgrade of my monitor and I went for a Sony MFM-HT75W LCD TV. It has component / vga / s-video / dvi inputs, so enough for what I wanted.

DC Ikaruga looks very sweet indeed.

Comment

Do tate games look ok on a widescreen monitor/tv if its rotated? I'm really tempted to get a small widescreen lcd when i move house next week as the CRT's just take up so much space.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince
              Do tate games look ok on a widescreen monitor/tv if its rotated? I'm really tempted to get a small widescreen lcd when i move house next week as the CRT's just take up so much space.
              Ikaruga looks good on mine. Not tried it with anything else.

Comment

Working...
              X