Superguns - Quick Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Superguns - Quick Guide

Superguns are small boxes that allow you to play arcade PCBs on TVs. They don't contain any magic just a PSU, lots of Wire, a JAMMA connector, Joystick ports and an AV connector, costs about ?40 in parts plus whatever the Joysticks costs, converting DC sticks is the easiest way to do it as they are cheap and are easy to convert.

The JAMMA standard uses 3 buttons, although it was extended to 4 buttons later. However not all Supergun are wired up for 4 buttons, the way to check is to see if pin 25 on the JAMMA connector has a wire there, if it doesnt then it's not wired for 4 buttons, that means the Neo Geo MVS system will be missing the D button and Power Instinct won't work correctly either.

5 and 6 Button games use connectors from the arcade board to the controllers, so Superguns should have a 6 button block on it, this is normally a small block with 6 holes which you put the Button Loom wire into and tighten up, although it could also be wires with spade connectors on them. Different games require different looms, the most common is the CPS2 loom which allows Capcom CPSII beat em ups to let you use the kick buttons. Mortal Kombat has another loom and SF2 has yet another loom. Finding looms can be fun (esp for certain games), so if you buy a PCB then make sure it comes with a loom or they can sell you one.

I'll add to this later if people want a fuller article on this.

*is learning*

nice one MD!

Comment

thanks m8! much appreciated on the info given. But after purchasing a super gun where can you find the pcb's? im really interested in a SF2 one. Thanks again for the insight. Such a helpful bunch aren't we?

Comment

I already have an AES so I have 2 NG sticks, would these need to be adapted to work with a supergun as well?

Also how do you store PCB's because I assume they dont come with any packaging?

Comment

Originally posted by lordcookie
          I already have an AES so I have 2 NG sticks, would these need to be adapted to work with a supergun as well?

You can adapt any kind of sticks to work with a JAMMA setup, it's not difficult - just labour intensive (this is the case with everything about superguns)

I'm using a PS2 Hori Tekken 4 stick for Killer Instinct and the ol' grey Namco stick as 2nd controller.

Comment

Originally posted by lordcookie

alot of the superguns you buy use the same din socket as the AES sticks anyway and they are wired the same, which would help you as you already have the sticks.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I am only really contemplating getting one so I can play Simpsons arcade so I dont know if it is worth the cost and effort.

Comment

I always reckon that if you have to think about it, then no, it isnt worth the effort

Comment

Neo Geo Sticks can easily be wired up to a Supergun without having to be modded in any way.

You can also use them on the older Neo Geo MVS boards too so you can make a very basic Supergun to play MVS games.

I'll discuss how 3 and 4 player games are wired up tomorrow and pad this out a bit more.

Comment

Working...
                  X