Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS2 mod/import/swap-magic advice

Hello gang,

I'm a long time lurker, but a first-time poster, please don't think this is a request because I can't be bothered to use the search function, but I seem to have confused myself with the sheer amount of information available

I am currently the owner of a UK-Pal PS2, Itwas bought on release day and bears the SCPH-3003 model number and has ten screws on the underside.

I wan to be able to play NTSC imports (spooky on a site like this eh?), both PS1 & PS2, I'm not fussed about DVD or "backup" facilities and seem to have narrowed down my options to the following;

1. Buying a US PS2
    2. Swap-Magic
    3. Modchip.

Option one seems the simplest, but possibly the priciest, given the new power-supply and customs pit-falls.

Option 2 requires the use of a slide tool or a flip-top, but am I right in saying that I can't buy a fliptop lid for my "version"? I've not been able to find one anywhere, failing that I've seen a different slide-tool that comes with a new fascia for the disc tray, any tips?

Option 3 seems to have confused me the most, what chip should I be looking for and does anybody still do these installs after Sonys clampdown?

Thanks in advance.

In reference to Option 3, any new mod will do.... they're all pretty much the same as far as import loading is concerned, though they do have unique features of their own.
    The O2 was the first modchip to have a ForceVGA mode, and the Matrix Infinity recently supports it too. There's not really enough compatible games to make it worthwhile though.

My preference is the DMS4 Pro, since it has HDD Loading capability built into the mod itself (called ToxicOS... basically a continuation of the old HDLoader). May sound of little importance, but I love having my entire collection stored on my PS2, so I keep my discs minty and don't need to dig them out everytime.

Comment

I also have a DMS4, although mine's the Lite version which can't run its own OS or support a hard drive. I actually wanted it that way because it works transparently, besides the point it's in my slimline PS2 which can't have a hard drive anyway.

Personally I prefer a modchip because, like I said, they're transparent and just make the console boot whatever you throw at it, but then again they can be quite costly. They're not especially cheap (the DMS4 Lite SE is a cheaper one and goes for $50 from the States) and are a bugger to install if you do it yourself. Paying someone else is an option, but you can get bilked on that and since chipping a PS2 is actually illegal here now a lot of places won't do it. Some do but just don't advertise it.

Comment

Cheers guys, I take there are no (known) issues with multi-disk games & that the DMS4 will do both PS1 & PS2 software?

Comment

I use magic 3.1

Its not bad but it does have a couple of flaws

Does not run psyvariar 2
          using pal psone games on my ntsc chipped machine part of the sceen image is lopped of at the bottom.

Also can be a bit fickle when booting up games sometimes taking numerous attempts

Comment

Originally posted by SteveStuart
            Cheers guys, I take there are no (known) issues with multi-disk games & that the DMS4 will do both PS1 & PS2 software?
            Multidisc games are fine, both PS1 and PS2 software work, and it's reflashable so you can update the software.

Comment

Yep, no problems. I played through my US copy of Final Fantasy VII on the chipped PAL PS2 which should answer both of your questions

Comment

Not sure if this is a taboo subject (I checked the FAQ, and there was a disabled link for it) but could anyone suggest somwhere (or themselves) to mod a PS2 (v14 slim NTSC-J)? (I have the chip)
                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X