A question for the DC experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question for the DC experts

Just slated someone in the feedback forum for selling me a 'universal' DC that doesn't appear to work properly.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much?

Perhaps there's an obvious reason for the probems....or even a fix?

The console is Jap, and supposed to be modded. Just had a quick peek inside, and no obvious mod (not that I really know what I'm looking for). I guess its had the PSU board swapped for a PAL one though as runs off a PAL lead?

Symptoms:

With the only NTSC game I own, and a selection of my PAL games....
    • Some won't boot at all, and just get the DC menu prompting me to insert a disc
    • Some will boot to the 1st/2nd game menu, and then the screen just goes black
    • Some boot, but the picture is displayed down in the lower half of the screen
    Thoughts, feelings.....

Hmm it's not normal, if it wasn't modded you'd simply get a message to insert a proper game disc or something along those lines. I don't have a modded DC so I can't tell for certain but these symptoms sound to me like a badly done mod, that or the DC itself is broken.
    As for your last problem, are you using an RGB scart cable? I had this a few times when using a gameshark I think.

Comment

If games are booting to the DC Menu asking you to insert a disc then the Mod is at fault......

However.....

The ones that boot the first couple of menu's and then just go blank seems to me a symptom of a game that is not RGB Compatible

And the ones that the screen is displayed down in the lower half of the screen.......thats because you're trying to run PAL 50hz games on a JAP machine.

No offence but personally i'd have asked this question before posting in his feedback as the above faults are typical of a Jap modded DC that's being used to play PAL games.

Comment

Originally posted by Sane
        Hmm it's not normal, if it wasn't modded you'd simply get a message to insert a proper game disc or something along those lines. I don't have a modded DC so I can't tell for certain but these symptoms sound to me like a badly done mod, that or the DC itself is broken.
        As for your last problem, are you using an RGB scart cable? I had this a few times when using a gameshark I think.
        Yes, using an official RGB cable.

Comment

Originally posted by jeimuzu_uk
          If games are booting to the DC Menu asking you to insert a disc then the Mod is at fault......

However.....

The ones that boot the first couple of menu's and then just go blank seems to me a symptom of a game that is not RGB Compatible

And the ones that the screen is displayed down in the lower half of the screen.......thats because you're trying to run PAL 50hz games on a JAP machine.

No offence but personally i'd have asked this question before posting in his feedback as the above faults are typical of a Jap modded DC that's being used to play PAL games.
          No offence taken

TBH the neg feedback rant has more to do with his attitude....you had to have been there

Using an official DC RGB lead (via an argos scart splitter), and all games play 100% via my standard PAL console. Problem is the same regardless of whether RGB is switched on or not.

So you're saying this is typical of JAP modded console....so if one wants a true universal console, what should I be looking or?

Comment

The booting to menu asking for a disc is definatly a problem with the mod...

The rest, ie screen etc is typical behaviour of the first generation of DC mod chips that came out as the DC constantly outputs 60hz all the time. If one of your PAL games has a 60hz option and you can manage to struggle with the screen until you can activate it then it'l be ok......for the ones that don't then it's how it is. Some places put a 50/60hz switch on the console in order to get around this problem

The second generation of DC chips were called Dreamchips if I remember right, and these had code to distinguish the region of the game, and change the video output to the correct ratio for each region. Ie 50hz for PAL and 60hz for Jap/Usa

Obviously you don't have one of those

If you're planning on keeping the DC then personally i'd invest in a DCX. I kinda defy's the point of having a modded machine but it will allow you to force PAL.

I'l have a look around and see if theres a guide to mod a 50/60hz switch because that'l sort the picture problem out.

Hope this clears things up, first message was rushed!

Comment

Found it : http://mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/dc-ntsc-pal.htm

Comment

Originally posted by jeimuzu_uk
                Thanks for that, will give it a go.

Comment

Working...
                X