Processor speed comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Processor speed comparison

So i've just bought myself a lovely new Acer Ferrari 4002 laptop with an AMD Turion 64 bit processor, at 1.6ghz.

I was under the assumption that saturn emulation (Specifically SSF) was dependant on clockspeed, thus I was expecting it to work a LOT worse than my P4 2.8ghz desktop.

I was wrong. My laptop outperforms it. And this got me thinking... What exactly is a good speed comparison? EG: roughly how fast in P4 terms is my Turion processor?

Does the fact that it's 64bit make a performance difference in emulation?

www.tomshardware.com is a great site for data like CPU & Graphic Card comparisons, have a search around there.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvergun X
      Does the fact that it's 64bit make a performance difference in emulation?
      Apps don't even use the 64-bit extensions unless they are 64-bit apps.

Comment

That's what I thought - I just didn't know if there was any performance difference in a 32bit application if you had two processors exactly the same clockspeed, one at 32bit and one at 64bit.

Comment

Dont be fooled by higher processor speeds= faster processor bollocks.
          AMD gave up on marketing their processors this way, as even though their chips have a lower clockspeed, they make up for it with more optimisations and the like written into the chip. Thus your turion even though its only rated at 1.6 can probably give a Pentium 3.2 a run for its money.

Comment

Ooh, yummy. That's what I wanted to hear. Thank you.

Comment

I have a pentium-m which clocked at 2hgz which is about the same as a p-4 3.4ghz. So yeah it is all bollocks with regard to the speeds! I mean just look how Macs have always gone about it.

Comment

Working...
              X